- A product description (the node body field) is optional, but you must enter a title!
- If you're using the core catalog module, there will be a select box titled Catalog before the description text box. This will list all the category terms in your catalog vocabulary. You only need to select one for the product to get listed in the catalog, but you can list the product in multiple categories by holding the control key and clicking on multiple terms. For more information on using the core catalog, refer to this page.
- Most stores will want to attach images to products. Ubercart will automatically configure images for products if you enabled the required modules prior to installing the product module. If you didn't do this in advance, then browse to Administer > Store administration and look for the row in the status messages table with the title Images. Here you can click on a link to setup the core image support. Once enabled, you can add as many images as you want to a product. The first one added will be used as the default image while the others will be displayed as thumbnails on the page. Images will automatically be resized and will display full versions when clicked. Resizing works best on .JPG images.
- The SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) must be unique per product.
- You don't have to use all the price fields if you don't need them. The only required one is the Sell price field which tells Ubercart how much to charge the customer to purchase this product.
- Ubercart will hide shipping related checkout panes during checkout if the customer isn't ordering any shippable products. If the product you are creating isn't a physical product that requires a shipping address, uncheck the checkbox labeled Product and its derivatives are shippable.
- Dimensions for a product aren't required but may be used by some shipping modules to quote shipping rates from a carrier's web service. You should consult an individual module's documentation (if it exists) to see if this is a necessary field or not.
- Add to cart forms may contain a quantity field to allow customers to add any number of a product to their cart. You can adjust the default for this field or hide it altogether by adjusting the value of the field labeled Default quantity to add to cart.
- The list position governs where in an ordered list the product will appear. This affects the core product and catalog lists, and the value may be used to sort a custom View.
On Drupal websites, pieces of content like pages and blog posts are called nodes. Ubercart products are also nodes and may therefore be created and used like any other node on your site. This opens up a world of possibilities to Ubercart users since countless Drupal modules already exist to affect things like node display, access, management, and more! To get started creating products, you must be logged into your site as a user with the create products permission. Click on the menu link titled Create content where you will see a list of content types available on your site. To get started, click the link labeled Product. Here you will see a form containing all the default product fields and any fields added by other modules you have enabled. Most of them are self-explanatory and should contain a little bit of help text to explain their purpose if you are unsure. Here is a short YouTube screencast of basic product creation on the ubercart demo site (with admin menu module). A few things to note: