25 replies [Last post]
SeanK's picture
Juice: 63
Was this information Helpful?

I notice that there has been no new notices to the site in nearly a year. Has "senior Ubercar Management" given up?

end user's picture
Juice: 1738
Re: Is this site managed anymore?

I think everyone is too busy getting D7 UC ready and they are still very active on on the Drupal sites.

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1434
Re: Re: Is this site managed anymore?

Noticed that there were a few pages of questions per day. Now a half page. Perhaps folks have moved to some other cart.

IMO folks are not getting the assistance they would like.

end user's picture
Re: Re: Re: Is this site managed anymore?

Well there are less people on the team and I'm sure people went to Drupal Commerce but DC is no where ready for real usage and it won't be for a while. I've tired out Zen Cart for a bit but having to go through crazy amount of folder levels to modify the template I just gave up. Also I'm sure a lot of people are holding off on D6/UC2.4 since D7 has been out for a while and are waiting for the D7 version of UC to be ready.

Rotozuk's picture
Juice: 6
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is this site managed anymore?

Haha - I used Zen Cart years ago. Of the carts of that type, it is pretty OK. I have to say that I'm much more impressed with Ubbercart and Drupal. Much more power. Clean, and rather easy for the basics, yet able to be expanded with minimal amounts of work. I have played with many different cart options, and I really like this one.

Sorry, that was off topic. All of the tech questions can get annoying when you are a volunteer. I'm surprised how good this site can be at times. Drupal can get complex as many modules can effect other modules, and ultimately every Ubbercart store can be very different as the modules installed give so many choices. Does make it interesting for sure.

brandonratz's picture
Juice: 21
My real question is... If I'm

My real question is...

If I'm wanting to start a new ecommerce site NOW and not familiar with Drupal 7 yet, which platform do I move towards? I have already set up an extensive demo site for the new site concept on UC 2.x. There are many modules which won't be ported and possibly not included in UC 3.x for Drupal 7. And Drupal Commerce is not near ready to build on for production. I don't want to end up 'painting myself into a corner' so-to-speak with a system that is no longer maturing.

Thoughts?

MGyHardSoft's picture
Alea iacta est

Unfortunately I wasn't so preventive: I installed D7 first and now I'm trying to bring Ubercart into life on it. The case is not so bad, however, the latest download is beta3 and it is only four days old. It means the activity is on the development and not on refreshing the site. What can be frightening: the dependency modules are also in beta and/or v. 1.0. Maybe there will be some result by the end of the week.

Rgrds, M. Gy.

zkrebs's picture
Juice: 42

I would be willing to help maintain this website with announcements and such, and even give it some kind of facelift. There's no reason UC should be dead looking... Sad

http://mindfulintegrations.com - Drupal and Ubercart Consulting.

end user's picture
Already tried and didn't get

Already tried and didn't get any response from Andy or Lyle.

johngflower's picture
Juice: 88
Re: Already tried and didn't get

Ubercart 3 or Drupal Commerce on Drupal 7 will undoubtedly be the cats pajamas when they are released.... WHEN. Until then my customers want to buy stuff and I'm using Drupal 6 and Ubercart 2. They are functional and cover many use cases.

end user's picture
Re: Already tried and didn't get

I tried contacting Andy through Drupal contact from and still no reply same as when I used this sites contact form. From my side it looks like hes not interested in updating the site BUT if the previous maintainers are gone then its time to get someone else on it.

If I have time this week I'm gonna start a community site for drupal commerce based modules in one spot. I have a few domains registered and I have a forums site I already built but not using atm so I can just switch the domain to that site.

macrocosm144's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 94

I hope to see ubercart make it through this transition, the other commerce solution should be great competition & that is usually a good thing... still, at this point I see no good reason to switch focus away from ubercart... unless its going to be dropped or unsupported.

royerd's picture
Juice: 295
Re: Re: Is this site managed anymore?

There's some document out there on the DC site perhaps that shows the state of things with Ubercart (as opposed to Drupal Commerce). It appears to me that Ubercart will pretty much not move forward since it's a D6 module and will eventually give way to D7. It seems stable enough to me. I don't think we can expect too much more from Ubercart, right?

Yes, it really does little good to ask a question on these pages. Until a significant group starts viewing them just to help others, it's just everyone with questions and no answers. That's what happens I guess.

I still think there's not great documentation written for UC. There's stuff out there, but it's all over the place and not always even correct.

Dan

blowe's picture
Administrator
Juice: 82
Ubercart on Drupal 7

We have been working away here at Ubercart and haven't been updating as much as we should, but Ubercart is under active development for Drupal 7. Unfortunately, we like coding a lot more than we like marketing or announcements.

If anyone is interested in becoming a moderator on the forums or helping us keep the site updated, please let me know. I'll get in touch with zkrebs above.

Brian

end user's picture
Re: Ubercart on Drupal 7

Its really not about moderating well perhaps removing the verification system as it makes it hard to post messages on the forum. Basically the news/update sections need to be updated, get rid of the issue tracker as its old info and redundant since the one on Drupal is so active and just make the Issue Tracker link to the Drupal one.

The forums should be streamlined as a lot of them are not needed since the cummunity is so small and just makes it look like there is less activity.

The demo should be a little more developed and include real test products.

At the end of the day the real problem is lack of communication from the site owners, again I and most will understand people have things going on in their lives that might interfer with running ubercart.org but it doesn't take much to at least update the news sections. The news section is 12 months old, to anyone coming in looking at the site will think UC is dead and not bother with it or tell others what they saw on the UC site.

furzey's picture
Re: Re: Ubercart on Drupal 7

Completely agreed. I can't for example understand the logic of working hard on a D7 version and at the same time neglecting this site so that it looks like the project is dead.

blowe's picture
Administrator
You are right.

You are 100% correct, and we are going to try to do better.

Brian

end user's picture
Re: You are right.

Thanks for the News Updates. One thing I would do is put up more updates to remove the 2010 ones.

furzey's picture
Re: You are right.

Cool and thank you.

It would be good to get news for Ubercart 2.4 for D6 in there too, I know 3.x on D7 is the new thing consuming time and energy but most users are on D6 and they (we) need support too. http://drupal.org/project/usage/ubercart

blowe's picture
Administrator

Yes. I posted a an update on the current release version and I'll put up a little information on where it is going from here. I assume we are just planning security and bug fixes from this point forward for D6.

a.Knutson's picture
Administrator
Juice: 483
Quote: perhaps removing the
Quote:

perhaps removing the verification system as it makes it hard to post messages on the forum

As of right now, you don't need to verify your email to sign-up and start posting on uc.org. However, if our battle with the spammers continue to be a major problem, we'll take extra security measures to try and regain some ground in that war. At this point-- it's a last resort. I've recently added the math CAPTCHA to each node post-- so that seems to be holding back the spammer horde that has been plaguing these forums for far too long.

Quote:

get rid of the issue tracker as its old info and redundant since the one on Drupal is so active and just make the Issue Tracker link to the Drupal one.

Done! Issue Tracker now points to our drupal.org issues page. Anyone can still have access to all the old issues under the "Archived Issues" link now added to our secondary menu. However, all issues will be closed so that we may encourage the community activity already taking place over at drupal.org.

Quote:

The forums should be streamlined as a lot of them are not needed since the cummunity is so small and just makes it look like there is less activity.

Any ideas how you would go about narrowing that down? I'd love some feedback on which forums you think are dispensable and which still have value to the community.

Quote:

The demo should be a little more developed and include real test products.

Totally. Our goal with the new demo site is to showcase the range of products Ubercart has the ability to power. From physical goods to digital downloads. After browsing through so many live-sites (deleting a bazillion spam posts....) I'm pumped to see how good we can make it look. I'm one to believe that presentation is just as big a piece of the puzzle as the code itself.

Quote:

At the end of the day the real problem is lack of communication from the site owners, again I and most will understand people have things going on in their lives that might interfer with running ubercart.org but it doesn't take much to at least update the news sections.

Agreed dude... Agreed --> http://www.ubercart.org/comment/66917

Thanks for the suggestions End User!

Qlaras's picture
Juice: 11
Re: Ubercart on Drupal 7

I think the biggest thing is pointing any existing (out of date) resources at their new home, if you guys are running most of the dev work off the drupal.org site - link there.

Secondarily, spam. I can picture two ways to clear it out more:

1) Anyone with enough 'juice' can flag things as spam, and then that message goes into a moderation queue - where others with (same/more) juice confirm, then it gets nuked. (Same way Slashdot's moderation system works)

2) Anyone with enough 'juice' can apply for and get access to just nuke spam.

Additionally, any user with enough comments tagged as spam should probably just be disabled/removed.

I'd be up for helping moderate just for spam purposes, as I'm running around the site trying to better understand Drupal and UC itself.

SeanK's picture
Blowe, Unfortunately, all

Blowe,

Unfortunately, all your hard work is for naught on the majority user who doesn't want to deal with nightly builds. And the lack of communication HAS lead to lack or community support and interest.

It's amazing what help you would get with a little PR on the module. But it might be a little too little, a little too late.

SeanK's picture
Even this thread!

I posted this thread at the end of April and there has still really been no updates to the site.

I have moved onto another cart system. It's free, and their are lots of free and pay modules available. And it works.

end user's picture
Re: Even this thread!

I don't need too many features and most of the upselling/display can be done with views.Having the ability to seamlesly integrade a shopping cart with Drupal is a no brainer for me especially when u start adding in producr manuals/msds sheets/videos and etc...

dbonilla77's picture
Juice: 10
i actually had to make a new

i actually had to make a new account because my last one got hacked. has this happened to anyone else?

Dbonilla77 | Ubercart | Shark Navigator Vacuum Man | Music is Life