67 replies [Last post]
Andy's picture
Administrator
Juice: 1142
Was this information Helpful?

When we started Ubercart we came up with the tag line "One cart to rule them all" for a few reasons.
1. We had just seen The Lord of the Rings trilogy with the tag line "One Ring to rule them all" and we wanted to pay tribute to an awesome book / movei trilogy.
2. We thought it was funny in a self depricating way to insinuate that this new (read unheard of) e-commerce project even had a chance of becoming dominant in the e-commerce market.
3. We thought it would be a funny tag line for a while until we got around to putting some serious thought into a "real" tag line.

My how things have changed! Ubercart has "grown up" to become a real player in the e-commerce market used by thousands of merchants. We think now is the time to put some serious thought into a tag line, and we are asking for your input.

We are looking for suggestions for a tag line which (in one short sweet statement) gives an idea of what Ubercart is and what makes it special to someone who has never heard of it (and or Drupal). The someone we are looking to reach is not necessarily the same person who reads these forums. We want to reach the CIO, small business owner, or consultant who makes the decision as to which e-commerce package to implement.

What is Ubercart? That's simple. It is an e-commerce application; a shopping cart.
What makes Ubercart special? A few things. . . Integration with Drupal. There are lot's of carts out there, but few of them have the ability to provide content and e-commerce in one package like Drupal and Ubercart. The ability to sell content, digital, and physical products. We would like to think that Ubercart is special because it is easy to setup and use, but I'm not sure everyone would agree.

So, what are your thoughts? What should Ubercart's tag line be?
Here are some suggestions given at Drupalcon's and or thrown around the office.

Ubercart: E-Commerce and Content
Ubercart: Check it out!
Ubercart: E-Commerce Made Easy

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1434
Tag Line

If you are looking for a marketing slogan then "Ubercart: E-Commerce Made Easy" is the way to go. Folks are looking for something that is easy to use, modify, install and maintain. It sells itself.

However, you are correct in that this slogan may not tell the whole truth!

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15459
Re: Ubercart Tag Line "One cart to rule them all..."

My thought is it doesn't have to have the "cool" factor of "One cart to rule them all..." but it can still be smart and meaningful. imo, the ones listed for example, are bland and don't say much about Ubercart or its strengths. I could see almost any other cart using the same thing.

What are Ubercart's unique characteristics? Well, the obvious one is its relationship to Drupal. This brings in all the benefits (and drawbacks) of using Drupal when someone's setting up their store, but we try to make it easy on the newcomer. I think what will continue to move Ubercart forward as it's tied to Drupal will be its ability to help you do any sort of commerce through your website. No longer just selling physical products, but selling services, access, customizable products, user defined products, etc. Those things are all possible to some extent and will continue to be simplified as Ubercart matures. Maybe we should be looking for where we want to go... more community involvement and internationalization along with the flexibility that doing commerce on top of Drupal provides.

So, how in a few words, can you condense Ubercart's flexibility and do-it-yourself nature into a few words that you wouldn't feel goofy wearing on a shirt or putting on a business card? I guess that's where the brainstorming starts.

stephthegeek's picture
Theminator
Juice: 575

Cool! I was thinking about this very thing just the other day.

I think Andy and Ryan hit on the key things already. I went through a few questions:
What do we want evoke emotionally in potential users? A tagline shouldn't be a literal description, it needs to have feeling of "yeah, I want that!"
What makes Ubercart unique? Really, when we compare it to ALL the possible solutions out there, from a PayPal button to a Yahoo Store to a custom online store solution -- the integration with Drupal and flexibility are Ubercart's strengths
What do we want people to take action on?

Ubercart + Drupal is all about connecting the dots -- combining your physical product with your community, your customers, and things like multiple product formats or subscriptions. Lots of C-words here... commerce, community, content, combination, connection, customers...

It sparked any idea I'll throw into the ring here:

Connected commerce

The alliteration and balance between the words has a nice feel, and the "connected" is open to multiple interpretations.

Ubercart
Connected commerce

Gorgeous original Drupal themes (and Ubercart themes!) ~ Psst: more Ubercart themes on our new site

zeezhao's picture
Juice: 1075
a few more suggestions... -

a few more suggestions...
- ubercart: commerce & content simplified
- ubercart: flexible commerce & content

cYu
cYu's picture
Bug FinderGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 852
Re: Re: Ubercart Tag Line "One cart to rule them all..."

I do like how Connected commerce sounds. I took a look at connectedcommerce.com, though, and it seems UniteU Technologies uses that as their tag line. Not sure the etiquette of of tag lines, but it might be stepping on toes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Drupal tied right in with the tag line. Something like...

-Drupal Connected with Commerce
-Extending Drupal for Commerce

Ryan's picture
Re: Re: Re: Ubercart Tag Line "One cart to rule them all..."

Yeah, I like the idea of connected commerce and would want to see if that matures anywhere from there. Could develop some good marketing out of that showing all the different connections... connecting with customers, search engines, Drupal, web services / technologies, and the Ubercart community itself.

mimetic2's picture
Juice: 478
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubercart Tag Line "One cart to rule them all..."

first off, I personally like the non-corporate "one cart to rule them all". Shows confidence and playfulness. But if you do really want to change, I like the idea of tying it to drupal.

Ubercart - Drupal Meets E-commerce.

or

Ubercart - Drupal Powered e-commerce

Ryan's picture
mimetic2 wrote:first off, I
mimetic2 wrote:

first off, I personally like the non-corporate "one cart to rule them all".

+1 Eye-wink

kiwi_steve's picture
Juice: 131
Re: mimetic2 wrote:first off, I

Why fix what ain't broken. I love it how it is. A tagline is something that no-one remembers unless its funny anyway. And I can't think of another tagline for any drupal related product that I can remember other than the LOTR one you guys have.

This is just too much effort being wasted trying to change something in a direction that will actually make it worse (IMHO). Put the energy into a D7 release instead Smiling

My vote, status quo.

Steve
New Zealand (Home of the Hobbits)

--- There are no personal problems that can not be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives ---

stephthegeek's picture
Theminator

Crap! It's trademarked by them too. I should've checked that first, sorry Sad

There's also the "open" angle, which plays on the community and open source side of things...

Connected. Open. Commerce.

Something like "Connecting commerce" would be too close to the trademark, but the above would probably fly. Or...

Connected Community Commerce

I'd resist the urge to get too descriptive in the tagline -- the page title and other prominent marketing text is the place to introduce Drupal imho. As the UC founders have pointed out before, Ubercart has often brought people *to* Drupal in the first place. And honestly... "easy" is not really something I associate with Ubercart, when you compare it to the entire possible field of e-commerce options.

Like Ryan says, I like the ideas that could spin off of "Connect"...

Connect... to Drupal
Connect... to your customers
Connect... to community

I'm thinking from a visual perspective here Smiling

Gorgeous original Drupal themes (and Ubercart themes!) ~ Psst: more Ubercart themes on our new site

tormi's picture
Juice: 59

Some random thoughts:

Ubercart - a Smart eCommerce Solution for Drupaller
Ubercart - an Uplifting Shopping Experience
Ubercart - a Moneymaker for Drupaller Smiling

Uberchic's picture
Administrator
Juice: 754

Long time reader, first time post -- blame it on the bikeshed effect.

This discussion has been an interesting insight into what is ubercart. I agree that it's not always easy. Maybe more like adaptable, or accessible, versatile, and profitable.

I'm excited about a new tagline that communicates more clearly what Ubercart is/does in a way that is still cool. I think "connected commerce" does that pretty well.

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718

Ubercart: Next Generation eCommerce - available today
Ubercart: Next Generation online shop - available today
Ubercart: Next Generation online shop - out of the box
Ubercart: Your shop online in 5 minutes
Ubercart: Internet shop out of the box

2 centimos from Sunny Spain Smiling

tormi's picture

"Shopping Cart for Drupal" is probably too boring?

torgosPizza's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 4111

Just throwing in few...

Ubercart: Your customers, connected

Ubercart: Connections for Drupal commerce.

Ubercart: Your customers, our solution.

Ubercart: Social commerce.

Ubercart: Electronic commerce for your Internet web-site.

(Okay, that last one is a joke. Hope I made some of you LOL.)

--
Help directly fund development: Donate via PayPal!

wiliam_steven's picture
Juice: 119

Hmmm... so now talking about deciding the tag line for UC, so.... the deal for now ?? i think it must short, and mnemonic and also....

i like

torgosPizza wrote:

Ubercart: Social commerce.

very much, very easy and also focus with specifying the UC

itsallamit's picture
Juice: 53
Ubercart: E-commerce the easy way

One thing I like about Ubercart is how easy and simple it is to setup so my two cents Laughing out loud

Ubercart: E-commerce the easy way!! (similar to the parent post)
Ubercart: Making e-commerce simpler !!

matsta's picture
Juice: 16
Re: Ubercart: E-commerce the easy way

I really like the "one cart to rule them all" . Im not convinced it should change.

You could explore the same theme,

May the cart be with you
Go ahead make my cart
Frankly my dear I dont give a cart (ok, probably getting silly..)

On a more serious note, I still like a play on words somehow, it makes you remember it. There isn't many tag lines that I remember like Ubercarts'.

You could go for a play on words like:

The cartists choice (artists choice, too obscure?)
Pure cart. (pure art)

On a more straight up approach:

Drupal Shopping (very simple but good for search)
Serious drupal shopping.
Advanced Drupal Commerce.
The Drupal Cart.
Uber-Drupal Shopping.
Advanced Shopping with Drupal.

I think any straight up tag line should have Drupal in it. After all that is the biggest plus before you even see the extensive Ubercart functionality. Also the demand for Drupal development is exploding in my opinion, so existing drupal developers are the best target.

Matsta.

Ryan's picture
matsta wrote: May the cart
matsta wrote:

May the cart be with you
Go ahead make my cart
Frankly my dear I dont give a cart (ok, probably getting silly..)

On a more serious note, I still like a play on words somehow, it makes you remember it. There isn't many tag lines that I remember like Ubercarts'.

Had me and Lyle laughing out loud. Laughing out loud

Good point about the remembrance... there aren't many others I remember either.

mattie@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 23
matsta wrote: There isn't
matsta wrote:

There isn't many tag lines that I remember like Ubercarts

very true indeed Smiling when someone mentions ubercart, I automatically say "one cart to rule them all". the ruling really fits the 'uber' Smiling there is no better match in that respect, so every other slogan will appear boring.

On the other hand, I have to admit, that in certain more 'serious' corporate environments, you might scare them off as potential users.. it certainly is a bit playful and some people just don't like that when they're talking serious business Eye-wink

I don't mind the current slogan, since it fits the name, and I don't think you'll change that Eye-wink But if you would change, I could understand Smiling

splash112@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 413
Ubercart: Easy - open -

Ubercart:
Easy - open - endless

tcindie@drupal.org's picture
Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 440

Ubercart: Because E-Commerce should be easy.

Follow me on twitter.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Who are we trying to reach?

Thanks for all the great ideas so far. Keep them coming! A few thoughts so far:
Who are we trying to reach?
The key to a good tag line is understanding your target audience. Our target audience is the person who makes the decision as to which e-commerce application to use. I tried to break down our target audience and came up with the following categories:

People who are developers/ a development shop, an independent business owner, or a "CIO" of some sort.
People who love Drupal, know of Drupal, or have never heard of Drupal.
People who want Ubercart for personal use, small business, or big business.

These groups are all intermixed, poorly defined, and sometimes have conflicting interest. The challenge is choosing which ones to target and how to target them best.

I think using "Drupal" in the tag should be avoided because most of our target audience does not know what "Drupal" is, and using an unknown word in a definition / tag line is likely to frustrate people. People who love Drupal will naturally choose Ubercart, and we should not waste our tag line selling people who have already bought in. Only people who know of Drupal; don't love it; don't hate it; just "like" it will be positively influence by using the "Drupal" in the tag line. That being said, we are proud to be a Drupal module and proclaim it in the first sentence people read on ubercart.org which is imho, where it should be.

Another area of contention is between "cool" developers and "square" CIO types. The current tag line is cool as cool can be, but there is an entire audience we are currently not targeting. Even most developers / development shops have square customers / bosses.

Personal users, small business types and big business all want easy, flexible, and feature rich, but personal users tend to focus on easy while small and big business tend to focus on flexibility and features. I think we should focus on small and big business mainly because Ubercart / Drupal is usable by "Joe" user, but still has a long way to go before "Joe" user can install, maintain, upgrade etc. . . I think "Joe" is better served by a hosted model like Yahoo Stores which is not to say someone can't provide a hosted solution using Ubercart, but that is not Ubercart, that is "Hosted Ubercart".

So who is our target audience? Our target audience is someone who is choosing an e-commerce application. Someone who is not very familiar with Drupal or CMS's in general. Someone who's web site is big enough to justify getting hosting and installing/configuring Ubercart/Drupal. Someone who has some coolness, but also has square customers / bosses. Someone who wants easy and flexible and feature rich, but tends to be willing to sacrifice some easy for the flexibility and features they need.

I think I have managed to slight every single group within the Drupal and Ubercart communities in a single post! Smiling If I have offended you, it is not my intent, and I apologize in advance.
Cheers,
Andy

stephthegeek's picture
Theminator
Re: Who are we trying to reach?

A huge +1 on everything Andy just said!

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718

What Any said, makes sense.

Andy wrote:

...So who is our target audience?...

If the "target" audience is somehow related to Drupal developers, then Ubercart is "just" a module for ecommerce purposes, and easy to choose, of course. But as Andy said, Drupal developers already know Ubercart as The chopping cart for Drupal,

On the other hand, if the "target" group is more the decision makers, business owners etc. who do not know about Drupal, then they need an easy to understand solution, not only a module of something they do not know, understand or are not interested to know or learn about (they're busy people and don't like "never ending complicated projects" if there's a clear solution available)

What comes in to my mind, is a "distribution" ie. an "installation profile" to install an entire online business solution (including Drupal, Ubercart and all the modules & basic configuration, a business -related theme etc... what ever needed)

This will lead to a situation, that after a "few clicks" those who need a powerful & flexible solution for their online business, will have everything ready to go. Fine tuning is, of course, an other story.

And the good thing is, Ubercart already have the "Bazaar" which is something to the direction to have a "solution"

I have some difficulties to explain the deep meaning of this in English, but hopefully this is at least my 2 centimos from Sunny Spain Smiling

PS. Please understand, my personal background is a consultant, decision maker and a business owner - far away from a technical person.

matsta's picture

Just to continue the debate a bit further....

Firstly, target audience is clearly the developer. Not business owners or bosses or anyone like that. All due respect but they do not know enough to make an informed decision about which cart platform to use. The business owner relies on his developer to make that decision for him. I dont ask my customers to tell me how to create their website, they rely on my recommendations as I as the developer am the one with experience and knowledge on the subject.

The developer says "I am going to use a Drupal core with an Ubercart shopping system, the functionality will be as follows...". The boss or business owner says "great, how much?". The business owner is unlikely to EVER come to the ubercart website as he is not developing the platform. Therefore the tag line should be for developers, in which case the tag line is perfect.

The other thing is that you are all assuming that Drupal developers just use Ubercart. This is incorrect. I have been developing Drupals commercially for years, and was never impressed with Ubercart due to lack of functionality. I only just recently discovered the ubercart contrib modules that are not listed in drupal.org which I now understand there is heaps of additional functionality, but it was not obvious and this was after I had exhausted every other possibilty to achieve my functionality. I have previously used Drupal Ecommerce or other shopping systems. I think educating existing drupal developers about Ubercart is more important than trying to attract new developers that know nothing of Drupal. They must first learn drupal before they can even start using Ubercart.

One last thing, I would caution the use of "easy" in the tag line. Installation and setup is not easy if you know nothing of Drupal. Ubercart is flexible, highly functional, complex. Combined with Drupal, it is the developers choice, not the novice needing a shopping cart.

Andy, I disagree that the target audience is "Someone who is not very familiar with Drupal or CMS's in general." The power of Ubercart is that it is a shopping cart AND a cms. The target is developers looking for a CMS & shopping solution in one, and know something about the subject.

I am not trying to shoot anyones ideas down, just have a constructive debate...

Cheers,
Matt.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Debate

Matt,
Thanks for your input. Debate leads to a better understanding of the issues and goals which is what we want.

I agree with you on some points, but in general I believe you are generalizing your personal experiences. There is a clear precedence that marketing to the manager works. Just look at Aquia, Redhat, Zimbra, and especially Microsoft Smiling I am not saying these companies ignore the developer, and neither should we, but so far we have ignored the business manager.

I agree with your cautions about using "easy" in the tag line.
I somewhat agree with your comments about Drupal. You are absolutely correct in saying that we need to continue to promote Ubercart within the Drupal community. We have already tried to address your issue concerning contrib modules by shifting contrib modules and issues back to drupal.org. We continue to have a strong presence at Drupalcons and camps. But I believe that promoting Ubercart to the Drupal community is only tangential to the tag line issue.

Who we should focus our efforts on does not change the one major flaw of the current tag line. The only thing it has going for it is cooless. It does not say one thing about what Ubercart is besides that it is a "cart" which is already strongly hinted at in the name. If we are going to focus on developers, let's try to get some information tossed in with the coolness.
Peace,
Andy

matsta's picture
Hey Andy, Yep, your points

Hey Andy,

Yep, your points are all valid..

Ubercart can still target developers, as well as do more to target business managers.

If the consensus is to not use Drupal in the tag line that is understandable, however another suggestion then is to incorporate the term CMS or something similar. One of the biggest advantages of Ubercart is integration with the Drupal CMS (although the term CMS doesn't do Drupal justice). No other shopping carts that I am aware of can have this vast range of associated non-cart functionality as well. I have found this to be more of a limitation in other cart systems than any specific shopping functionality.

Ubercart: Highly advanced shopping and CMS integration. (I don't like it, but you see where my head is at.)

Cheers,
Matt.

TR
TR's picture
Bug FinderFAQ ModeratorGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 3273
matsta wrote:If the
matsta wrote:

If the consensus is to not use Drupal in the tag line that is understandable, however another suggestion then is to incorporate the term CMS or something similar. One of the biggest advantages of Ubercart is integration with the Drupal CMS (although the term CMS doesn't do Drupal justice). No other shopping carts that I am aware of can have this vast range of associated non-cart functionality as well. I have found this to be more of a limitation in other cart systems than any specific shopping functionality.

It is my impression from following these forums that the vast majority of users who install Ubercart are not familiar with Drupal. Ubercart brings people to Drupal, not, in general, the other way around. So I agree that Drupal shouldn't be the selling point in the tag line.

You statement about the advantage of a cart integrated with a CMS is exactly the right argument to make, and can be understood by everyone from a developer to a manager to a small business owner. I think this is one of the reasons why "connected" and "community" keep popping up in suggested taglines. I personally don't know how to convey this in a short tagline, which is why I've been staying out of this discussion.

I would avoid using the acronym CMS though - an acronym in the tag line renders it ineffective to the portion of your audience who can't immediately expand the letters into word. Which I think is the majority of people we're trying to reach.

<tr>.
stephthegeek's picture
Theminator
TR wrote:It is my impression
TR wrote:

It is my impression from following these forums that the vast majority of users who install Ubercart are not familiar with Drupal. Ubercart brings people to Drupal, not, in general, the other way around. So I agree that Drupal shouldn't be the selling point in the tag line.

It's hard to tell what actual numbers would be, because I'm sure we hear a lot more from newbies than experienced Drupallers, but we get a lot of theme customers who are completely new to Drupal/Ubercart. Most of them, in fact, hence the new documentation.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Actual Numbers

A few days ago I was looking at the Google Analytics report for Ubercart.org. My research was not very scientific. I looked at referring sites, keywords, pages viewed etc... for first time visitors.

I believe that somewhere between %50 and %70 of new Ubercart.org visitors are new to Drupal.

This is based on roughly 20% of new visitor being referred by some Drupal related site, %50 coming from somewhere not very Drupalesc, and %30 which could not be determined. All these numbers are gross averages.

Maybe we should create a poll?
Peace,
Andy

macrocosm144's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 94
Re: Hey Andy, Yep, your points

As a marketer meself... I suggest sepparating your target markets, one size doesn't always fit all, a lot of companies loose easy money because of this. In this case the main market is developers for reasons clearly outlined above. However that said... there are many good reasons to go after the non-dev folks as they can then request ubercart because at some point they were exposed to the potentiality of ubercart, and must quench their unending desire to uberize their commerce! lol

There could be other creative which is intended to draw the non-dever. With its own landing pages, strategic linking/ads and vernacular all geared towards reaching & explaining things in a light that they can grasp, and consequently drool over.

Personally I must say I love "one cart to rule them all" its all the good things a tag line should be. Plus the fact that you organically came to it lends further power; because IMO things arrived at synchronistically are always best!

Ubercart
One Cart To Rule Them All -----> one tag line to rule them all! lol

But lets not forget there were other rings too they were just ruled by the Grand Puba ring; so in light of that theme, some other tags could logically be added depending on the target market, as additional headings perhaps ... only displayed where warranted. With this logic you are free to add as many as you wish, each focused on your targeted markets.

The Commerce Solution You've Been Waiting For!
Take your commerce to the next level!
Improve Management -> Impress your Clients -> Make more Money!
etc etc etc

Just my 2 cents for what its worth. ^_^

tormi's picture
Andy wrote:I think using
Andy wrote:

I think using "Drupal" in the tag should be avoided because most of our target audience does not know what "Drupal" is, and using an unknown word in a definition / tag line is likely to frustrate people.

Seems like using "Drupal" in the tag line is not even possible without Dries permission ..

Andy's picture
Administrator
Favorites so far.

Here are some of my favorites so far and why:

E-Commerce Made Easy : Good-> This addresses a key concern for most people trying to set up an e-commerce site. In addition, it will force us to focus on making Ubercart easy. Bad-> I believe that Ubercart is easier then most other e-commerce apps, but Ubercart is not easy. This is mainly because e-commerce is not easy. This may be turn-offish to big business CIO types who think easy = simple = not capable of handling a large site. I believe our competitors would certainly spin it that way.

Connected commerce : Good-> My favorite so far. An excellent segway into the one page "elevator pitch" explanation of Ubercart. Bad-> It's taken Sad

commerce & content simplified : Good-> Simplified has most of the positive of easy without most of the negative. Hints at Ubercart's relationship to content (Drupal). Bad-> Something about the & doesn't work for me.

flexible commerce & content : Basically the same good and bad as above, but uses flexible instead of simplified.

Connected. Open. Commerce.
Connected Community Commerce : Good-> Same as "Connected commerce" but more robust due to the added words. Community and open are both popular terms now. Bad-> I am uncertain how Open or Community will affect our target. Our audience is not looking for "community" even if we know they need it. Open has a positive ring for those of us who support FOSS, but is somewhat threatening to the corporate world.

Social commerce : Good-> "Social" is a hot buzz word. Bad-> "Social" is a hot buzz word. Social probably does not describe what most people are going to do with Ubercart.

Easy - open - endless : Good-> It sounds like Ubercart is just what you need, whatever you need! Bad-> It's vague

Because E-Commerce should be easy : Good-> similar use of easy without actually saying Ubercart is easy. Negates most of the bad of the other "easy" lines. Bad-> Doesn't really address what makes Ubercart unique.

After reviewing the list I think we can break it down into two general categories: 1. "Ubercart is easy" type lines. 2. "Connected. Community, Open..." type lines. I believe the "connected" type is a little better approach since it has broader appeal and more (at least some) coolness potential. The "easy" type has strong appeal to individuals, but is potentially seen as negative to developers and business types. Maybe the best solution is to use a connected type line and include "simplified."

If you have an opinion or critique, please share it. In the mean time, I will present these tag lines to potential Ubercart users and see how they react.
Peace,
Andy

smb488292's picture
Juice: 19
No cart will ever rule all the others

Every time I turn around I find yet another new opensource shopping cart. Why do they keep trying to reinvent the wheel? Obviously, the developers are frustrated by what the other cart makers are not doing right. So they come up with their "own" remedy.

As long as your try to be the "one cart to rule them all", all you'll every have is "yet another shopping cart". A shopping cart by itself is only one very small part of e-commerce so it doesn't qualify to be called and e-commerce system either unless you are willing to live with the criticisms of it's lack of enterprise-style order processing.

If you want to be better than the others, break out of the shopping cart metaphor entirely and turn this into a proper order processing system that an enterprise can use. It will still be able to do "shopping cart", but it won't be limited to that.

Stephen
Hardfocus Media
Japan

Ryan's picture
smb488292 wrote:If you want
smb488292 wrote:

If you want to be better than the others, break out of the shopping cart metaphor entirely and turn this into a proper order processing system that an enterprise can use. It will still be able to do "shopping cart", but it won't be limited to that.

A little off topic, but +1. In the meantime... I also like the comment above about segmenting your market... we could have dual taglines... developer.ubercart.org could keep the "One cart to rule them all..." for the cool/nostalgic effect. Eye-wink

Uberchic's picture
Administrator
Juice: 754

Ubercart seems to be a mythical place where it can be anything you want it to be, as testified to by the depth of the conversation about who ubercart is trying to talk to with the tagline.

so what about the idea of ubercart as a place and using 'where' in the tag line?

ubercart: where content and commerce meet.
ubercart: where content and commerce connect.
ubercart: where content and commerce hook up. (small joke on hooks)

on ubercart's tendency to bring people to drupal, what about--
ubercart: come for the cart, stay for the community.

ubercart: all the things you didn't realize you couldn't live without in ecommerce. (a bit wordy)

ubercart: multidimensional ecommerce solutions (might not be true)

Just some more thoughts.

ineation's picture
Juice: 2

I've been evaluating Ubercart vs some other solutions in the last days, and I've been thinking how it would fit into a business offer. Therefore I could share my personal point of view here.

Ubercart as an "easy" e-commerce solution is a wish, not a reality. You will bring a lot of deception among beginners and people w/o any Drupal knowledge. Drupal in itself is already difficult to learn (I know that by spending hell of a time helping in forums) Even if you have an ubercart distrib you still have to spend hours to get a decent, good looking store. We are far from an out-of-the box solution and I am not sure it is even the way to go. To me Ubercart is used by serious guys, web dev companies not site owners, to build customized web sites with e-commerce capabilities/

According to me, the key value argument for Ubercart is its tight integration to Drupal and so the possibilities it brings relative to building a full community site with e-commerce capabilities (or a full e-commerce website with community functions). It also brings great flexibility in the final result.

This is where we differentiate from :
* Magento --> excellent for big specialized e-commerce sites
* Prestashop --> excellent for basic e-commerce sites

So we should focus on Ubercart actuel strenght, communicate on its Drupal integration and what it brings. Then, we will be able to compete in Magento field (adding more features) and Prestashop field (one click install).

So to me the tag line should get these ideas :
1)E-commerce
2)Community
3)Flexibility / power

This is why I like the "Connected e-commerce" tag line.
It could also be :
* Ubercart, Flexible e-commerce solution
* Ubercart, Connected e-commerce solution
* Ubercart, Integrated e-commerce solution
* Ubercart, Where e-commerce meets e-community
* Ubercart, Where e-commerce meets social networking
* Ubercart, Next generation e-commerce sites
* Ubercart, Community shop building
* Ubercart, Community and e-commerce bound together
* Ubercart, Selling to your e-community
* Ubercart for Drupal : Publishing, Networking, Selling
* Ubercart for Drupal : Publish + Network = Sell more
* Ubercart for Drupal : Publishing + Networking + Selling
* Ubercart for Drupal : sell more !

I like a lot the last one, as long as you can explain that, by combining Drupal Publishing and Networking functions and Ubercart Selling functions, you will grow your sales one step further.

Sorry this is a bit long...

Andy's picture
Administrator
Conclusion

OK, it is time to wrap this thread up!

I think we can all agree on a few things:

1. macrocosm144 is right, there is no reason we have to have just one tag line. For right now, let's keep "One Cart. . ." for the developer / community pages and choose a new one for the squares. In the future we may even have a third highlighting Drupal for those who have drunk the coolaid Smiling

2. ineation and a few others are right. Ubercart is not as easy as it could be. Ubercart is feature rich. Every feature is a choice and every choice requires choosing, which is not easy. So we should avoid that word.

3. The square tag line should focus on Ubercart's flexibility / CMS / Drupalness which are all the same thing really.

With that in mind I will choose 5 - 10 of the suggested tag lines and create a poll for people to vote on. If you want to influence which lines make it to the poll, PM me with your pitch. Otherwise expect a link to a poll shortly.
Peace,
Andy

TR
TR's picture
Bug FinderFAQ ModeratorGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 3273
Re: Conclusion

My favorites of all the above suggestions are the two that Uberchic proposed in #34:

Uberchic wrote:

ubercart: where content and commerce meet.
ubercart: where content and commerce connect.

These bring together the notion that Ubercart encompasses more than just a cart, imply a CMS without using the acronym, and introduce the notion of Ubercart as a place rather than a thing. These share all the advantages and potentials of the "connected commerce" phrase Steph suggested in #3, without the burden of trademark infringement.

Or just say it straight out:
Ubercart: Because a store needs more than just products - It needs a community.

<tr>.
Andy's picture
Administrator
The Poll is Up

I set up a poll for people to vote on their favorite tag line. Here it is: http://www.ubercart.org/poll/which_ubercart_tag_line_do_you_best
We'll leave it open for voting until the end of Drupalcon (March 8th).
Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions and insightful discussion. I feel like we have a much better understanding of our community and our goals as a result.

mikejoconnor's picture
Juice: 536
Re: The Poll is Up

What about a "keep brainstorming" option on the poll?

I think we are getting close, but I still feel like something isn't quite right.

Commerce Guys | Ubercart Development | Ubercart Training

Andy's picture
Administrator
Mike, I am happy to continue

Mike,
I am happy to continue the discussion. I was just afraid the conversation was dying out. So I created a "keep brainstorming" option and I'm happy to keep considering new ideas.

aireworth's picture
Juice: 91
Community and Commerce

What about

Ubercart on Drupal - e-commerce for your e-community

or

Drupal & Ubercart - Community and Commerce

(I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if someone has suggested this before.)

Colin

(ps - but I really still like "One cart to rule them all.")

stephthegeek's picture
Theminator

A few more concepts/words from brainstorming to keep the ball rolling...

Community commerce building
Bringing your customers together
Conversation
Exchange
Marketplace
Flexibility
Growth
Interactive
Beyond commerce
E-commerce that grows with you/your community
Grow your community, grow your business
Connecting the pieces of commerce
The Marketplace Builder

loocher's picture
Juice: 211

Well personally, the selling points for Ubercart for me are simply that it is free, open-source, easy to install with Drupal, and does the job. I think those are the things you should be promoting rather than kind of meaningless marketing speak about connectivity, etc. Those are the sorts of tag lines I completely tune out and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Keep it simple: Ubercart: The leading, open-source, drupal store module.

Or über, as you know, means "over" or "super" in German, so maybe play on that a bit.

Something like:
Ubercart,
Over-easy, under-priced.

Clever logo by the way Ü

mikejoconnor's picture
Juice: 536

I think the real question is

Do we need a tag line?

Without looking it up, how many of you know the Drupal tag line?

next question is what does the Drupal tag line mean, and have you ever used it to describe Drupal?

Can any of you name the tag line from an any open source project, without looking it up?

Personally, I don't think we need a tag line, let alone a new tag line. Look at the examples from the new Drupal style guide, and you will not see the tag used anywhere. It's still something many Drupal developers know, and It's important to them, but it's not widely used.

In my opinion we should keep our current "One cart to rule them all", as our tag line, to simply be used among ourselves. Instead of focusing on a better tag line, we should focus on our overall message, marketing, and Ubercart itself.

tormi's picture
mikejoconnor wrote:In my
mikejoconnor wrote:

In my opinion we should keep our current "One cart to rule them all", as our tag line, to simply be used among ourselves. Instead of focusing on a better tag line, we should focus on our overall message, marketing, and Ubercart itself.

+1

Docc's picture
Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 169
mikejoconnor wrote: In my
mikejoconnor wrote:

Totally agree, there is nothing wrong with the tagline. Its fresh, different and self-confident (cocky if you wish). Better put efforts in Ubercart itself.

imstillatwork's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 207
Who is the target Audience?

I just need to add that I use Drupal BECAUSE of Ubercart. Ubercart got me hooked on Drupal. Since then I've done a few cheap-o client jobs using Drupal becuase they needed features that I would not custom program within their budget.

As a developer (and I'm not even a PHP developer Smiling) I prefer the 'octrta' tag line.