5 replies [Last post]
whatsanike's picture
Juice: 86
Was this information Helpful?

Tried several times to delete a catalog term, but there seems to be no button to do that. What now?

Mark Housel's picture
Juice: 8
This is similar to my

This is similar to my question, except that I cannot for the life of me get Ubercart to create a single product of any sort to put into a Catalog.

In looking at the Demo video for creating basic products, my UI looks absolutely nothing like the video and I can find no way to change that?http://ubercart.org/docs/user/30523/clone_basic_product_creationThere are Zero UI facilities as shown in the video for creating products.I have Drupal 7.14 installed, the latest Ubercart and every possible module that I know about installed.Absolutely nothing will do anything whatsoever?I've been futzing with this since Drupall 7.8 and have never gotten a single thing to work, ever? I am obviously missing something here.  Any clues?                                                              Thanks

end user's picture
Juice: 1738
Re: How can I delete a catalog term in D7 Ubercart?

Once UC is installed adding a product is the same way as adding any content type in Drupal. Go to site.com/node/add

Mark Housel's picture
Re: How can I delete a catalog term in D7 Ubercart?

I try to follow these various instructions which all seem quite informative until I find that for the most part it does not resemble what I am seeing in my UI at all?

The paths of "commands" for want of a better term do not exist in my UI
The various menus that they describe do not exist in my UI
The terminology used does not seem to exist in my UI

This post for example: http://www.ubercart.org/forum/support/15695/how_create_new_product_type_...

This may have been easy for some of you, but since I really struggled with this, I thought that some others might also struggle with this: In Drupal, you create a new Content Type in "Administer » Content management » Content types".< THIS path of command DOES NOT EXIST in my UI>

So, at first, I tried creating my new type of Ubercart Products there. But that didn't work. They didn't show up in the Ubercart Catalog and I couldn't figure out how to get the new products to show up.
So, since I didn't Understand how to correctly add new product types/classes , I want to clarify it for others. In Ubercart a New Content Type AND a New Product Type are basically the same thing.
However, the New Product type is called a "New Class" (You can find out more about Classes here: Understanding Product Classes., although I did not understand what to do from reading that ).
So, to state it plainly, to create a New Product Type, Create a new Class at "Administer » Store administration » Products » Manage Classes".

Name the new class what you want the new product class to be called. (i.e. tools, supplies, t-shirts, fabrics, etc.) When you have finished creating the new class, it will automatically show up in "Administer » Content management » Content types" as a new content type.

To add new fields to the new "Class/Product Type" you go to "Administer » Content management » Content types", find the name of the one you just created and click on "Manage Fields".

You enter all the new fields here. SECONDLY, your catalog taxonomy vocabulary will have been automatically checked for your new product type. However, if you have added any new Vocabularies that you want your new "Product Type/Class" to use, you'll have to manually add them at "Administer » Content management » Taxonomy".

The video demo looks absolutely nothing like my UI in any way shape or form? They show all of these menus and selections which simply don't exist for me? http://ubercart.org/docs/user/30523/clone_basic_product_creation

I admit to being completely and totally lost and find no instructions or examples that I can correlate with what I see in my UI?

Like I said I've been futzing with this for many months off and on but never have I been able to create any product and have it appear in a Catalog, ever.

a.Knutson's picture
Administrator
Juice: 478
Hey Mark! I apologize for all
Hey Mark! I apologize for all that confusion. It's not just you... we desperately need better documentation! Ubercart 3.x documentation needs to be updated with more current step-by-step tutorials and screencasts. The reason http://ubercart.org/docs/user/30523/clone_basic_product_creation seems different is because it IS different. Until newer content is written for D7 UC3, we ported documentation from the Ubercart Project Documentation because much of the concepts are the same between versions. But your totally right... it's confusing as hell! I'll get this section updated with a better, more recent D7 UC3 example on how to create products and using Taxonomy to build your product catalog. Thanks for your feedback mark!
Mark Housel's picture
a.Knutson wrote: Hey Mark! I
a.Knutson wrote:

Hey Mark!
I apologize for all that confusion. It's not just you... we desperately need better documentation! Ubercart 3.x documentation needs to be updated with more current step-by-step tutorials and screencasts. The reason http://ubercart.org/docs/user/30523/clone_basic_product_creation seems different is because it IS different. Until newer content is written for D7 UC3, we ported documentation from the Ubercart Project Documentation because much of the concepts are the same between versions. But your totally right... it's confusing as hell!

I'll get this section updated with a better, more recent D7 UC3 example on how to create products and using Taxonomy to build your product catalog. Thanks for your feedback mark!

Well at least it is some comfort to know I'm not actually crazy and seeing things (in this case at least). Eye-wink
Although I admit to being easily confused by things in general.

Thanks