96 replies [Last post]
xerbutter's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 146
Was this information Helpful?

I'm just starting to explore Ubercart - so far it seems great. I did notice that after installing it, "ecommerce powered by Ubercart" shows up at the bottom of my site. I'd prefer not to have this...is there an easy way to disable it? Have I missed a setting somewhere or a themeable function? Or do you guys require this to be shown?

Thanks for your help,
Xerxes

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15459
Re: powered by ubercart

Hey, Xerxes. Glad you stopped by to try us out. Smiling The text is really just an attempt to spread the word about Ubercart and boost our pagerank as we slowly climb the search engine rankings for open source e-commerce projects. It'll take a while before we unseat Zencart as the #1. Sticking out tongue

Anyways, it's definitely not required, and many folks have taken it out for design requirements. It's built into the store module, so you can use a search and replace to take care of it.

xerbutter's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 146
Hi Ryan, Thanks for your

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your quick reply. That makes sense and I'm happy to put a link to Ubercart on the site...just not on my nice clean front page. Smiling

I'll take it out of the store module as you suggested, though I always hate to edit modules directly instead of overriding functions. You might consider making this output themeable in the future so that it won't break on an upgrade.

I'm still working through setting everything up...so far, so good. Thanks for the great project!

Xerxes

Ryan's picture
Re: Hi Ryan,

Good call. I'll move that into a theme function right now. It should help folks that want to keep it in there but just tweak it a bit to match their themes, too.

EDIT: Change committed. Smiling

offthehook's picture
Juice: 29
Re: Re: Hi Ryan,

How about making this easy and having an option in the store config to switch it on or off.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Juice: 1142
Powered by Ubercart

I understand that some people (read maybe most people) don't want that link in the footer. Our position is that we work hard, spend a lot of time, and money to develop Ubercart. We then give it away for free. We then provide exceptional free support. All we ask in return is that you leave that link in place. That link is, in my opinion, a small price to pay for a great, free, well supported piece of software. We do not try to enforce the placement of the link (as oscommerce and others do) via copy write and threatening language, but we are not going to easily facilitate disabling it either. If it is not enough of an issue for you to edit the code and remove it, then maybe you should just leave it.

The footer link is there to promote Ubercart and allow other people like you to find Ubercart. The more people use Ubercart, the better it will become, so you get some direct benefit from it. So you can leave it there for your own benefit, you can leave it there because we ask you to, or you can leave it there for good karma, but please, just leave it Smiling
Peace,
Andy

daniel.s's picture
Juice: 87
Re: Powered by Ubercart

I don't mind the link, but in addition to what's already in the store options, there should be an option similar to what osCommerce has. Just "Powered by Ubercart".

I wouldn't want my store to say it's powered by "free software". It may make the store look cheap (to the customer, that is)

You have a point that you "work hard" and "spend a lot of time", but don't forget all the community's contributions and support that it provides.

zmove's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.Internationalizationizer
Juice: 1195
Re: Re: Powered by Ubercart

I think it should be possible to disable the link. There are a lot of way to participate to the Ubercart community (developping module or bring help on forums for example). Most of shop developper are not store owner, and I had to remove the link because the store owner that order the website I developped didn't want to see that in his footer.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Powered by Ubercart

Daniel.S - Good point. one of our goals for Ubercart 1.0 is to have a list of five or so footer choices to choose from. Your suggestion will certainly be one of them.

Zmove - I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it.

Andy

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1434
Uber Support
Andy wrote:

Zmove - I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it.

Andy

Andy:

I also agree with you. Considering the amount of time and effort, it is little to ask that credit be given to those that make Uber possible. If folks do not desire to respect the work of others then there are commercial carts available for use.

For those that desire to remove the link, one possible scenario is to tell the customer/client that with the link removed there is a $500 charge. If they go for it then that amount can be donated to Uber.

Just my opinion.

Jim

72dpi's picture
Juice: 134
Re: Uber Support

Spreading the good word about Ubercart is not a problem. This application deserves it.

If you can help Daniel.S along with the AusPost module, and get it working flawlessly for Australian users, I am sending money across for sure.... In fact, the only reason I haven't contributed a little something, is that I am waiting to see if this can run my shop.

(Make it able to run multiple locations, ie, the UK & Australia, and you can name my first born child =)

You guys deserve more than just thanks....

Andy's picture
Administrator
Re: Re: Uber Support

Jim, thanks for say what I feel it is not my place to say. I think Ubercart's greatest asset is our great community of developers and users like you.

72dpi - We absolutely want to get the AusPost module working flawlessly. I think this is the first time any of the Uber-team have worked on a project this big. The question of which new feature to implement next is kind of a surprise to us. At least once a day we see some new worthy module or feature for Ubercart which deserves attention. We will get to them all as soon as we can.

As for the offer of your first born child; I don't think that is such a good idea. We are not very good with kids. Giving your child to us will almost certainly result in a disastrous setback in your child's development. Smiling

Peace,
Andy

wallbay1's picture
Juice: 4
stop that bullshit

man stop it you guys need to stop that bullshit.
why would you put the powered by unbercart on the bottom of my frontpage. like the entire website was built because of ubercart. its one thing to try to get some traffic and credit for your work its quite another to trick people .
my website uses drupal , many module my website is not solely build because of ubercart. but yet that dam footer appear like you guys built my site.

you want credit for your work ? fine put that footer on the module page not on the frontpage. In my opinion forcing the footer on the frontpage(the most important page) it's showing disrespect for the entire Drupal community.
even drupal (who in some respect, if you guys rely on) allow the user to remove their footer. Ecommerce does the same thing. you want people to start paying for your module well start doing component for joomla, or build an stand alone.
if evey module coder were doing like you you will be seing powered by views, by ubercart, by panel etc... were will we be going?
remove that thing from the frontpage but i have no problem in seeing the footer in the ubercart specific pages (right its seems more fair to say cart powered by ubercart).
and honestly if you guys still don't want to listen , i will suggest other members to simply switch to other ecommerce modules

Ryan's picture
wallbay1 wrote:man stop it
wallbay1 wrote:

man stop it you guys need to stop that bullshit.

Day late and a dollar short...

Your rant wasn't entirely intelligible, but let's just say this is a non-issue in the latest version. Feel free to read the whole thread for the initial reasons for/against, the way it all developed, and where things stand now. Be sure to check out the 1.3 release tomorrow, too.

fwiw, the footer only ever displayed itself on UC pages. If your front page was /catalog, that qualifies. I won't respond to anything else. :-/

doomed@drupal.org's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 334
Re: wallbay1 wrote:man stop it

I just want to add to this thread that current Ubercart versions do have an option to totally disable the "footer message" .

So... yay!

grobot's picture
Juice: 289
Re: Re: wallbay1 wrote:man stop it

And I want to add to doomed's comment: you can find the setting via Configuration => Store Settings => Edit => Display Settings.

http://example.com/admin/store/settings/store/edit/display or http://example.com/?q=admin/store/settings/store/edit/display

Thanks Ubercart! You guys rock!

Can I give the microphone back to wallbay1 now - I love watching people lose the plot Eye-wink

Giant Robot - for campaign, charity, ngo & online store solutions - www.giantrobot.co.nz

daniel.s's picture
zmove wrote:I think it
zmove wrote:

I think it should be possible to disable the link.

If you need to disable the link, you can do so in other ways. I don't think it's unreasonable to have a link positioned somewhere tactful in the footer.

If your clients don't want to see the link, make it the same colour as the background. That way search engines will still pick it up.

Personally, I disabled the default one and made my own link that states just "Powered by Ubercart"

The more I use Ubercart, the more I see that it's the best open-source cart on the net today. It's just so extensible and configurable - and it's only getting better. Thanks guys for all the hard work. It's really appreciated.

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718
Re: zmove wrote:I think it

I've not disabled the link... and I've not even used Ubercart to live sites yet, just trying to learn to use it etc. However. everything seems Very Promising and I've already donated to Ubercart because I clearly see the power of the software and I'm respecting the hard work of the Ubercart developers - Highly Appreciated!

I'm going to donate something of every live site I'm using Ubercart... and I'm inviting also the other Ubercart users to do the same... these guys deserve it... Thanks!

PS. and of course, if possible, please keep the link active.

KillerJerseys's picture
Juice: 58
Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

I'd much rather have a little button as a block on the sidebar.

alliax@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 22

What kind of mentality is this? This is clearly not a drupal mentality to add the footer link. In case you haven't noticed, Drupal is one of the few open source application which doesn't add a footer link.
Some theme designers add their footer, this ubercart module is the first time I see it done by a module.

I understand the goal : create awareness of ubercart in search engines results by increasing backlinks with selected key phrases. This is a goal, and that's fine. What I don't understand is the extremism of some users who defend the idea of having a link in the footer for ethical reasons.. This is lame thinking, Drupal proved to others (like joomla) that an open source application doesn't need to put a footer per default in order to create good will.

Now, I want to remove the link, and what do I have to do? hack the module file? ok, I'm gonna do it, but please... if ubercart need this to create awareness, it means it's lame. If it's not lame, then awareness will happen. Don't force it on developers!
If you care so much about search engines awareness, then ok, go on with this, but please don't mix any ethical philosophical stuff in it. I don't owe anything to ubercart even if I use 1000 times without mentionning it.

KillerJerseys's picture
Re: Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

If you think it's "lame", then don't use the software. Simple.

It's the UberCart Team's right to have a linking footer enabled by default. If you don't like it, remove it. We all know you can do it ... so, don't bitch about it, or go program your own cart.

And if you do, please post the link, and we'll have a poll to see who's cart is really "lamer".

Ryan's picture
Re: Re: Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

As an attempt to diffuse a "situation" before it evolves, I'd just like to point out that the footer is also displayed via a theme function as mentioned above. This means a dev can keep an override function handy so that the footer never makes it into the HTML at all. I don't think the footer's coming out any time soon, but it can certainly be modified/made nicer just like any other part of the code. I like the idea of an optional button or a simple "Powered by Ubercart." message. And I do agree that it isn't really an ethical question, but I do appreciate all the support from the folks using the cart. Cool

agilpwc's picture
Juice: 213

"If you think it's "lame", then don't use the software. Simple."
This is the same mentality of people who say "If you don't like the policy on Iraq, then you can just leave the country. America, love it or leave it."
And that logic doesn't work any better here.

If you took a poll and asked people how they first heard about the ecommerce program they are currently using, I bet search engine would rank pretty low.

Plus I don't think you are going to get much of a boost in the search engines with this footer at the bottom of low ranking store checkout pages. And through artifically trying to manipulate the rankings, it seems to be creating some ill will among certain people. Which probably counteracts whatever benefit you may get from a higher ranking.

Hopefully for the Uberteam, working on the project is your passion. If it is your passion then in the end, through your hard work and dedication you will end up with a most awesome and Uber ecommerce system and the universe will contrive to reward you handsomely.

If you need proof, just look at Drupal.

zmove's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.Internationalizationizer
Juice: 1195
Re: Re: Re: Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

I had no problems to disable the footer, because it is on a theme_ function, so I easily disable it. Eye-wink

The real discussion is about the fact to give the possibility via option to disable the ubercart footer. I think yes because if we begin to add this kind of function, it become more a Creative Common license than a Real free license and this is not the way drupal goes and I think this is not the way ubercart should go in my opinion.

KillerJerseys's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

The Iraq example isn't relevant -- it just blows the situation out of proportion. And for the record, I found UberCart by Googling "e-commerce cart" (or something among those lines Eye-wink). In fact, 80% of web traffic comes from web searches.

You can remove the code from the cart. No ones holding a gun to your head. In the time that has been spent ranting about this, one could have easily removed the footer message.

Anyways, I'd prefer the UB team to spend their time working on bugs and or better features rather than wasting time by adding some option to disable a footer that any one with half a brain could remove by editing a few lines of code.

$0.02

cYu
cYu's picture
Bug FinderGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 852
alliax@drupal.org wrote:What
alliax@drupal.org wrote:

What kind of mentality is this? This is clearly not a drupal mentality to add the footer link. In case you haven't noticed, Drupal is one of the few open source application which doesn't add a footer link.

Drupal 6 by default adds a footer link. It can easily be disabled...but it looks like the footer link clearly is the Drupal mentality. Not that it necessarily needs to dictate what Ubercart does anyhow, but it was interesting to see.

Re: alliax@drupal.org wrote:What

I don't know about drupal 6, but whoever decided to add a default footer link to drupal now is dumb.
I've noticed that recently a footer has been added to drupal.org but that's another thing. But maybe it's linked somehow, I'll see what the footer of drupal 6 says when I'll install it.

Ryan's picture
Re: Re: alliax@drupal.org wrote:What

Yeah, the footer about the trademark was necessary for legal reasons, counseled by the Drupal Associations legal adviser. You can read about it here.

torgosPizza's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 4111
Re: Re: alliax@drupal.org wrote:What
Ryan wrote:

Yeah, the footer about the trademark was necessary for legal reasons..

Interesting read, I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting it Smiling

--
Help directly fund development: Donate via PayPal!

For those who can read only what they think is written and not what is written, I repeat "if ubercart need this to create awareness, it means it's lame. If it's not lame, then awareness will happen."

Now, yes, we can hack the module or override the theme function, fine.
But it should also be implemented in the function, in the settings where we can choose which one of the 3 keyphrases we want to display, to be fair there should be an option to not display the footer.

Anyway, as for the rest, I was simply voicing an opinion about the ethical speech, nothing about ubercart itself or even this search engine strategy.

Sandman's picture
Juice: 2
Footer removal

Hello first I'd like to say that Ubercart rules and there is nothing better, at least from the newbie point of view. But removing the footer is a bit hard for a person like me who does not know a thing about code, I have no idea what hook functions are or even where in the uc_cart module the modification needs to be made. I've been here all day trying to figure it out and I kinda gave up...I've done it before but this time it seems like it's way more complicated than it should be.

Why make it rain when you can make it thunderstorm

Re: Footer removal

I've done it with one line of code, but it should be an option in the admin at the very least, but that is up to the mind of the ubercart owner.

Beta 2:
In ubercart\uc_store\uc_store.module in function uc_store_footer located at about line 500 :
at the end of the function, find the line:
return theme('uc_store_footer', $message);

and add this line before:
$message = "";

so that it now looks like:
$message = "";
return theme('uc_store_footer', $message);

This is certainly not a nice way to go about it, but it works fine and you only have to remember to change it again whenever you update your version of ubercart and for as long as the owner doesn't provide an easy admin option.

Or you could do it the theme way, I don't know how, but for this you need someone else to give you the code for it, in that case you wouldn't have to hack in the module directly, just in your template file.

daniel.s's picture
alliax@drupal.org
alliax@drupal.org wrote:

This is certainly not a nice way to go about it, but it works fine and you only have to remember to change it again whenever you update your version of ubercart and for as long as the owner doesn't provide an easy admin option.

Just make the change in your theme's CSS file: http://www.ubercart.org/comment/10869/Re-Re-coloring-removing-E-commerce...

Hacking the core is pointless, and a waste of time.

michaelphipps's picture
Juice: 34
How To Remove "Powered by Ubercart" using template.php

Edit: Just saw someone provided similar code a few articles above - I didn't see it before I posted - I was using an alternate view of the forum, my apologies!

My concern with publishing the footer link is that it lets hackers quickly find ubercart powered sites when they discover a vulnerability. It is for that reason I am making this snippet public.

Add these 3 lines of code to your template.php file

function XXXX_uc_store_footer(){
    return null;
}

where XXXX is the name of your theme. If you were using the garland theme, the function would be called garland_uc_store_footer()

This solution means you don't have to hack core whenever you update ubercart.

Enjoy.

Michael

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718
michaelphipps wrote:...My
michaelphipps wrote:

...My concern with publishing the footer link is that it lets hackers quickly find ubercart powered sites when they discover a vulnerability. It is for that reason I am making this snippet public...

Good point Michael, and as far as I understand, just released RC4 of Ubercart was mainly a security update? Not publishing the footer link at all, is maybe the best call from the security point of view... but... does the image link make it easy for hackers to find vulnerable installations?

TR
TR's picture
Bug FinderFAQ ModeratorGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 3266
michaelphipps wrote:My
michaelphipps wrote:

My concern with publishing the footer link is that it lets hackers quickly find ubercart powered sites when they discover a vulnerability.

Abilnet wrote:

... does the image link make it easy for hackers to find vulnerable installations?

This is a non-issue. There are literally thousands of signatures hackers could look for which uniquely identify a site as a Drupal and/or Ubercart site. This is true of *any* web application, and is unavoidable. Having one more, such as the subject of this thread, does not make a site any more or any less vulnerable.

<tr>.
slantview's picture
Juice: 4
michaelphipps
michaelphipps wrote:
    return null;
}

where XXXX is the name of your theme. If you were using the garland theme, the function would be called garland_uc_store_footer()

Hi Michael, not to nitpick, but according to Drupal coding standards, you should always include a space before the curly brace in a function definition, and NULL, TRUE, and FALSE are always uppercased.

Thanks for sharing this though.

steve

Bug Finder
michaelphipps wrote:Edit:
michaelphipps wrote:

Edit: Just saw someone provided similar code a few articles above - I didn't see it before I posted - I was using an alternate view of the forum, my apologies!

My concern with publishing the footer link is that it lets hackers quickly find ubercart powered sites when they discover a vulnerability. It is for that reason I am making this snippet public.

Add these 3 lines of code to your template.php file

return null;
}

This solution means you don't have to hack core whenever you update ubercart.

Enjoy.

Michael

This aint working. Anything changed on Ubercart code?

TR
TR's picture
Bug FinderFAQ ModeratorGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 3266
doomed@drupal.org wrote:This
doomed@drupal.org wrote:

This aint working. Anything changed on Ubercart code?

Nothing has changed. To learn more about overriding a theme function read http://www.ubercart.org/faq/617

<tr>.
Bug Finder
Re: doomed@drupal.org wrote:This

Thanks, working now.

Update:

Not really, getting some blank pages on some areas of the site (like after editing a node or when clicking Checkout button).

AttachmentSize
template.php_.txt 72 bytes
Ryan's picture
How about just return '';?

How about just return '';?

Bug Finder
Re: How about just return '';?

Apparently working fine, thanks.

homer2004's picture
Juice: 9
it is very simplelook for

it is very simple
look for the following fucnion in store module(uc_store.module):

function theme_uc_store_footer($message) {
  // return <div id="store-footer">'. $message .'</div>';
return ;
}

you should figure the rest out if you want to add links or images
again i think it should stay there.

himagarwal's picture
Juice: 302
doomed@drupal.org
doomed@drupal.org wrote:

Thanks, working now.

Update:

Not really, getting some blank pages on some areas of the site (like after editing a node or when clicking Checkout button).

It worked like a charm. Thanks to contributor. It would be nice if there was an option to enable and disable the ubercart footer, similar to the drupal footer in drupal 6.

Anyway, I'll be giving ubercart, drupal and the theme maker (that I'm using) a link back from my website page. They off-course deserve a link back somewhere from your website Smiling

finkpad's picture
Juice: 67

There are 3 separate ubercart footer messages as standard. If you want to change the FREE part (which I didn't like for my customers commercial sites) just override it say ecommerce by ubercart powered by Drupal This is a standard footer message selection within ubercart and doesn't detract from the website in anyway.

This is done using Ubercart set-up and doesn't need any code hacking... so is simple until some alternate messages/functions are built into ubercart in later releases.

Look at the bottom of:
http://www.YOURSITE.com/admin/store/settings/store/edit/display

Ryan's picture
Re: Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

@finkpad: Good point on the "free" part being bad for business. I'm not sure I can imagine a site that actually would want to broadcast that about its e-commerce software when trying to instill customer confidence. Will review. Eye-wink

torgosPizza's picture

FWIW - I would absolutely not be opposed to having the footer say "E-commerce by Ãœbercart - Powered by Drupal" - it sounds professional, and concise. Thought I'd throw in my .02...

--

daniel.s's picture
Ryan wrote:@finkpad: I'm not
Ryan wrote:

@finkpad: I'm not sure I can imagine a site that actually would want to broadcast that about its e-commerce software when trying to instill customer confidence. Will review. Eye-wink

That's what I said 7 days ago....
http://www.ubercart.org/comment/10708/Re-Powered-Ubercart

mimetic2's picture
Juice: 478
Just an FYI, It is bad for

Just an FYI,

It is bad for UBERCART to cloak the CSS. It is much better to remove the footer text than to have CSS that makes the link invisible. It could actually hurt ubercarts rankings. for more please google, "black hat SEO"

torgosPizza's picture
mimetic2 wrote:Just an
mimetic2 wrote:

Just an FYI,

It is bad for UBERCART to cloak the CSS. It is much better to remove the footer text than to have CSS that makes the link invisible. It could actually hurt ubercarts rankings. for more please google, "black hat SEO"

I replied to your other post here: http://www.ubercart.org/comment/11811/mimetic2-wrote. You're not 100% correct, yes black hat is bad, but the only real black hat using invisible / cloaked text are pages that usually have a ton of links on the bottom of the page. These are usually done on what they call gateway pages. Check out more info here: http://www.seoconsultants.com/articles/1007/doorway-gateway-pages.asp

Hiding the footer altogether is different from setting the font's color the same as the background color.

--

mimetic2's picture
Juice: 478
Ya, I actually didnt read

Ya,

I actually didnt read the script, I just assumed that it was changing the font color.

again, i hide my head in shame Laughing out loud