96 replies [Last post]
Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Ryan wrote:Will review. I
Ryan wrote:

Will review.

I said I'd review the options a while back and was able to do it today. Basically, I've seen some corporate stores using the free option and we actually do get a fair amount of search traffic to Ubercart.org for people looking for "free shopping cart software." I hope that's not just someone spoofing us. Eye-wink

So, what I've done is left that in there but added in a few lightweight options (and switched it to radios so you can preview the choices). Feel free to keep it random, choose the smallest one, hide it or remove it to your heart's content. I probably won't review this again unless it's to improve something that's there.

Cheers!

dariusnmd's picture
Juice: 4
Re: Ryan wrote:Will review. I

^that's great to hear! Sounds like a good comprimise and it's nice of you to reveiw this. You make uber-baby proud Sticking out tongue

rolandk's picture
Juice: 240
Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will
Ryan wrote:
Ryan wrote:

Will review.

So, what I've done is left that in there but added in a few lightweight options (and switched it to radios so you can preview the choices). Feel free to keep it random, choose the smallest one, hide it or remove it to your heart's content. I probably won't review this again unless it's to improve something that's there.

Cheers!

Is the options included in the latest version of ubercart ?

Ryan's picture
Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

They'll appear in beta 5 which I'm shooting to put up on Friday. In the meantime, you can always grab the latest committed code here.

rolandk's picture
Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

Thanks - will there be an upgrade path to beta5 or will we just install over previous ?

Ryan's picture
Re: Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

You'll just install over your previous version. Make sure you back-up your DB and files, as with any major module/Drupal update, and run update.php. We'll put that in the release notes when it goes up, hopefully tomorrow.

worthyb's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 48
Re: Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

I just updated to Bazaar 837 and the radio button doesn't appear to be working. I check the "Powered by Ubercart" button, but the message at the bottom continues to say "Drupal e-commerce provided by Ubercart." I'm not one that minds the footer being there, just thought I'd mention it.
I know it worked at least a couple versions ago - I believe it was a drop down list.

Changing life as we know it, through the love, loyalty, and friendship of Jesus Christ.

Ryan's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

Thanks. It was just an indexing problem from a function I made to get rid of some duplicate code. Problem solved and committed for testing.

rolandk's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

Just to clarify - does the latest uber have admin option to switch off the footer ?I don't have a problem but I don't see it !

rolandk's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

anyone?

Andy's picture
Administrator
Juice: 1140
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ryan wrote:Ryan wrote:Will

In the latest version of Ubercart (beta 5) You can choose from several options for the footer, but you can not disable it.

qrios's picture
Cool profile pic award.Getting busy with the Ubercode.Internationalizationizer
Juice: 554
Disable store footer

Disable it like this:

Put this in template.php:

/*Hide store footer*/
function phptemplate_uc_store_footer(){
return;
}

Thats all.

Kees

etcetera9@drupal.org's picture
Thanks

Ubercart is almost as good as Drupal itself Eye-wink Thank you for hard work...

Also thank you guys for listening to users and giving an option to remove the footer. On my site I will leave it on place just for this nice gesture.

Cheers,

Sinan

dariusnmd's picture
I'd appreciate an option to turn the link off

I'd appreciate an option to turn the link off but, meh, as web poeple it's not hard to get rid of it on our own. And, obviously, you kind people aren't requiring the link to stay.

Anyway, great modual, love drupal, love ubercart, thanks!

akolahi's picture
Juice: 68
Theme Footer

I certainly don't have a problem with including ubercart in my footer, but i want it to be said and look in a way I feel works well with my site. Basically, what I would like to know is how can I THEME the footer. I prefer not touching the ubercart module files so that i dont have to remodify the files for every ubercart update...

Thank you.

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1434
Footer

One way to find CSS code is to use Firebug and Web Developer for Firefox. Both are nice tools.

The footer text is in uc_store.css on my site. Look for store-footer. Add color: red; to change that text to red, etc. You more than likely will also have to change out the a tag for the link to your selected colors.

Agree with your statement about keeping the footer credits.

Good luck with the color modifications.

Jim

lka
lka's picture
Juice: 8
Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

My only beef about the link is that I have Ubercart installed on my live site as i play with it on my dev site. The live site, by the client's request, does not have a store.

Since I am trying to keep both sites the updated and work with UC in the admin (leaving the menu links unavailable on the live site), the footer is there and the client and visitors are a little confused.

Personally, I have found this project great, and would have no issue talking the client into leaving the link when we take it live; however it has made my dev process a little more difficult.

Just another point of view.

LKA

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718
Re: Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

At the moment there are the following options to have different footer link back to Ubercart project:

• Randomly select a message from the list below:
  • Powered by Ubercart
  • Drupal e-commerce provided by Ubercart
  • Supported by Ubercart, an open source e-commerce suite
  • Powered by Ubercart, the free shopping cart software

What about an additional option to type in the color code of the link?

I personally very much like to keep an active & visible footer link back to Ubercart, but in real life there are clients and company policies that simply do not allow any outgoing links from their commercial sites. For some, it's even a show stopper if the link is required, and they'll build their shop with other alternatives.

To avoid that, I feel that kind of easy "coloring option" could be enough in some cases to keep all parties satisfied?

My 2 centimos from Sunny Spain

slantview's picture
Re: Remove Footer - powered by ubercart

As someone who develops Drupal code for a living 60+ hours a week and contributes to the Drupal community in many ways (speaking, code, teaching, local meet ups), I think this is total crap that you can't just add an option to turn it off. Honestly. I know you guys work hard on this. We all do. Why don't I put a link on every Drupal 6 installation that uses memcache that says "powered by slantview" since i wrote a patch that ended up in core that enables drop in memcache without core patches? Because that is not how things work. In FOSS we write code because we love it. Because we want to share what we made with others and have them contribute.

Ryan, I know you are a good guy. I met you in Boston, and we had an interesting conversation at the Hard Rock. I am not trying to be lame or a jerk or anything, but I just disagree with this strongly, and disagree with Andy's POV. Open Source is not about "If you don't like it, f*** you." I just think that is the wrong mentality to have. If everyone had that mentality, we'd all be using closed source software, and you wouldn't have Drupal to build Ubercart on.

What if you needed Drupal core to change something for Ubercart to continue working and Dries said, well, I disagree, "F--- you." Wouldn't be so great for the community now would it?

Keep up the good work guys, but come on, seriously? How hard is it to put in a simple radio to turn it off. Actually, that is not a question. It is easy as pie. Why make such a big deal about this. If you don't want to work with the community, then go closed source and don't use any of my code that I contribute to Drupal in your application unless you link to my site. I work really hard on my code and I want recognition. Think about it.

Lastly, if you have people hiding links by changing the color, you are really screwing your seo anyway. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/hidden-links/ Just let them turn it off, and the seo will come.

Patch included.

-steve

AttachmentSize
no_footer.patch 806 bytes
stephen.colson@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 2
Just frivolous

So the goal is to make Ubercart the best OSS cart product and at the top of google? You're already on page one for opensource shopping cart. The e-commerce module can't even claim that. Considering how relatively young Ubercart is, you guys should be completely thrilled that you rank as well as you do.

It seems quite counter-intuitive that the "best" product (or those aspiring to be) would artificially and deliberately restrict the ways in which a non-programmer could work with the system.

I'm quoting slantview because I feel his position is spot on and completely in the "Drupal" spirit of development; after all, isn't that why Ubercart was created rather than fighting e-commerce?

slantview wrote:

As someone who develops Drupal code for a living 60+ hours a week and contributes to the Drupal community in many ways (speaking, code, teaching, local meet ups), I think this is total crap that you can't just add an option to turn it off. Honestly. I know you guys work hard on this. We all do. Why don't I put a link on every Drupal 6 installation that uses memcache that says "powered by slantview" since i wrote a patch that ended up in core that enables drop in memcache without core patches? Because that is not how things work. In FOSS we write code because we love it. Because we want to share what we made with others and have them contribute.

Ryan, I know you are a good guy. I met you in Boston, and we had an interesting conversation at the Hard Rock. I am not trying to be lame or a jerk or anything, but I just disagree with this strongly, and disagree with Andy's POV. Open Source is not about "If you don't like it, f*** you." I just think that is the wrong mentality to have. If everyone had that mentality, we'd all be using closed source software, and you wouldn't have Drupal to build Ubercart on.

What if you needed Drupal core to change something for Ubercart to continue working and Dries said, well, I disagree, "F--- you." Wouldn't be so great for the community now would it?

Keep up the good work guys, but come on, seriously? How hard is it to put in a simple radio to turn it off. Actually, that is not a question. It is easy as pie. Why make such a big deal about this. If you don't want to work with the community, then go closed source and don't use any of my code that I contribute to Drupal in your application unless you link to my site. I work really hard on my code and I want recognition. Think about it.

Lastly, if you have people hiding links by changing the color, you are really screwing your seo anyway. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/hidden-links/ Just let them turn it off, and the seo will come.

Patch included.

cYu
cYu's picture
Bug FinderGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 852
Re: Just frivolous

I don't much care about this particular feature or lack thereof, but I don't see why this isn't treated like any other aspect of the Ubercart module.

1. The functionality is requested by many members of the community.
2. Maintainers of the module have no problem with the functionality and provide various ways for developers to write some code which accomplishes it.
3. Community members use these methods but suggest that it would be a nice usability improvement to make this available in config.
4. To add this to config would be extremely easy and take only a few lines of code.

As an open source project, it doesn't make sense to me that these 4 statements could hold true for a feature that will not be implemented. Mainly I'd just like to stop seeing this as the most active issue in my Track on this site....

gclawton's picture
Juice: 11
Where is the option to select different footer (Powered by Uberc

I ran info a set of 5 options for the uebrcart advertisement footer and set it to something, and now I cant for the life of me find where the option was so I can hange it to something else.

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718
Re: Where is the option to select different footer (Powered by U

Maybe you want to try: yourdomain.com/admin/store/settings/store/edit/display

doomed@drupal.org's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 334
my 2 cents

Hey guys,

I think you did good by adding the extra options.

"Powered by Ubercart, the free shopping cart software." is horrible but "Powered by UberCart" isnt that bad.

I would avoid the "free" word at all costs. "Open Source" has the same practical meaning and sounds much better, specially these days as open source software gains more and more awareness.

You see, after you setup a whole Drupal/Ubercart solution for your client, how can you charge him when it says "free" in the frontpage? Not everyone understands the work that goes behind these things.

As for giving back, i think its very important for us Ubercart users to be involved in the community.
For those who cant code, build some themes or contribute with translations.

Or donate some money.

paulcouture's picture
Juice: 42
Alternative graphic link in trans. PNG

I have an actual footer that will be in our site when we go live that would look very odd with the standard footer for ubercart, but I fully understand the benefit that would be created by the linkage.

I created a custom block on the sidebar using a variation of this graphic, but it is a good alternative for those of us using a theme modification that makes the standard text link look out of place.

Feel free to use and share, give the team the credit they deserve.

I'd recommend including title text and alt text for your badge if you use it, hopefully someone from the team can give a recommendation of what they would like those to read. (You get better results when all of them are using the same text.)

AttachmentSize
Transparent PNG badge alternative to footer. 6.8 KB
72dpi's picture
Juice: 134
Re: Alternative graphic link in trans. PNG

Excellent attitude Paul, and yummy looking badge mate.

It is a good way for those who want to express their thanks to promote.
I gotta admit, the standard "Powered by" kills my layout (I have a footer div), so this is a nice addition.

paulcouture's picture
Juice: 42
Glad to be of help

Glad it helps you out (BTW love the avatar, was wearing a shirt with that bugger on it as I posted the image Eye-wink what are the odds?!)

I used the "e-Commerce By" because the badge right below it is a similar badge that says "Powered By Drupal" with the blue grinning dj dude.

I place ubercart's above drupal, because drupal is the foundation that holds the "house" of ubercart up.

To the visitor, reading down the sidebar and hitting that section it reads:

e-Commerce By
Ubercart