15 replies [Last post]
0xyGen's picture
Juice: 3
Was this information Helpful?

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (bluehost.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718
Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting

Maybe you want to search Webhostingtalk for offers... at the same place you can find a ton of help and actual end user opinions about the providers.

Nowadays I'm on dedicated servers, but for some cases during the years I've been using addaction.net and found them reliable with good support and reasonable features. Also, they have modern servers also for shared hosting and are not overselling. Also, I've heard a lot of good things about Dreamhost

And yes, by choosing the host Ubercart is promoting here on the front page, will help Ubercart financially (Site5 is an established and well known hosting provider as well)

Good luck!

PS. As this topic is for hosting, there seems to be interesting adverts around to take a closer look.

splash112@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 413
Re: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting

Agreed, helping Ubercart is good.
Site5 offers a lot of bandwidth, space and very good features.

but....

I wouldn't put my live shop on it. I get a lot of errors from them and my website is unreachable an unreasonable amount of time. Like last Sunday when Ubercart.org was offline about all day long (at least for me), which happened a lot on my installs too (I get a lot of those annoying failed cron messages, even when I am not playing around with it). So I use the servers there mostly as sandbox for my live site.

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Re: Re: Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting

Choosing a hosting provider is an important decision to avoid future headaches. Do it carefully. Thanks splash112 letting us know about the reliability issue(s) of site5.

What ever you'll choose, remember to include a clear backup policy as well.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
splash112@drupal.org
splash112@drupal.org wrote:

Like last Sunday when Ubercart.org was offline about all day long (at least for me), which happened a lot on my installs too (I get a lot of those annoying failed cron messages, even when I am not playing around with it). So I use the servers there mostly as sandbox for my live site.

fwiw, Ubercart is hosted on our own server, so it's usually our own fault when it goes down. I posted the Site5 link for folks b/c I'd had a good experience with them in the past, but I certainly can't guarantee their service. My church hosts a site on it that afaik has been up as long as we've had the account.

Ah, sorry.... As soon as my

Ah, sorry....
As soon as my shop get's real, I will contribute some earnings back to the server. Eye-wink

Nothing wrong with the package site5 is serving, great for less critical applications. But if you want a server for your 1k customers a day, I would check some other providers. Got to many messages from cron telling me it couldn't find the cron.php file, or something similar.

My shop is now served at www.yourhosting.nl, not perfect but reliable and I get a response on my questions in something like an hour.

torgosPizza's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 4111
Re: Ah, sorry.... As soon as my

I would not recommend Dreamhost shared hosting (or any shared hosting, really). They only allow you a certain amount of "CPU Time" and it can make your page responses very slow, which in turn makes them take 10 seconds to load.

I am using anhosting.com for my current Drupal freelance project hosting needs, but if you have some money to throw around, you should definitely go with a Dedicated server. We use Softlayer (www.softlayer.com) and have not had a problem - the only issue is they are unmanaged hosting, which means you need to know a little bit about maintaining a server. (Although their support team is awesome and answers questions within minutes, usually half an hour or less.)

Also we have a local company near us that specializes in Drupal hosting, called www.lamphost.net. I actually met with one of the lead guys during a recent SD Drupal meetup, and he seemed like a great guy and their prices seemed reasonable, so they would be my top pick if you were looking for inexpensive and reliable hosting.

--
Help directly fund development: Donate via PayPal!

Hmmm. Yes, dedicated hosting

Hmmm.
Yes, dedicated hosting would probably be best, especially setup in a multi server environment with backup locations all around the world... But for the people that like to use Drupal/Ubercart because they are not (yet) a listed multinational enterprise. Shared hosting could be ok.

Just check some smaller (somehow, all bigger companies seem only to focus on quantity, not quality) hosting companies located near your customers. Like mine, pay about USD 20 a month, get about 1/1000 of the space and bandwidth of site5, but I got good service, good uptime and reasonable page loads. Sadly, no cron jobs, but site5 will take care of these.

Anyway, which Ubercart store really uses more than 1GB in disk space?

edit: those lamphost prices anb specs look quite interesting (and especially more or less realistic). Maybe for my next site. Eye-wink

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Re: Hmmm. Yes, dedicated hosting

Don't know the requirements needed, but one option for sure could be VPS (Virtual Private Server) ...it's a private server with all "root" access etc, just like dedicated like server, using some part of a strong (usually) dedicated server box.

VPS is a sort of trend going on, and there are amazing offers of these at WHT. If you're not familiar with server management, there are tons of management services available, starting maybe from $20 per month or something like that.

Also, you can get a reasonable & managed dedicated server for less than $100 per month, with CPanel. And even that's more or less an entry level box, all the resources are dedicated for you and noone else.

end user's picture
Juice: 1728
Re: Re: Ah, sorry.... As soon as my

Don't skimp out on the hosting and go for the over sellers. Anyone offering either unlimited space or bandwidth or both IS overselling and don't them then tell you they are not.

There is no unlimited data transfer for $4.95 If there was then why do people buy dedicated servers for $100+ per month and only get 1-2TB of data transfer per month.

Anyways look into these host for quality shared hosting Dotable.com http://dotable.com or DigitallyJustified http://digitallyjustified.com

plainprogrammer's picture
Not Kulvik
Juice: 29

I am big on virtualization for hosting. I would tend to recommend SliceHost or Joyent's Accelerator product. SliceHost is based on Xen virtualization while Joyent uses Solaris 10's Zones capabilities. Virtuozzo hosting is the solution I am working with that Ubercart.org will eventually be moved into. I would recommend Spry or MediaTemple for Virtuozzo based hosting.

Virualization has a few distinct advantages in my mind:

1.) Isolation: Your site won't get stomped on if someone else's goes crazy or becomes unstable. The only thing that may unexpectedly bring down your site would be a hardware failure or some problem that breaks the virtualization platform's isolation.

2.) Control: You have control as if you were running your own hardware, you choose what version of Apache, PHP, etc you install. This has the down side of meaning you need extra skills to maintain your system right.

3.) Dedicated & Burstable Resources: Most hosts guarantee a certain amount of memory and certain amount of processor time. Some oversell so this can be problematic, although virtualized hosting tends to be less dense that shared hosting so it still usually works out to be and advantage. And, most hosts will let you burst your resources on demand up to a certain threshold when your site is busy and there is no contention.

Virtualization's biggest disadvantage is the cost, it tends to me a good bit more expensive than shared hosting, but it is cheaper than a dedicated box, and usually it is scalable in terms of resources.

I would encourage you to stay away from shared hosting and look at either a VPS/VDS/Virtualized solution or dedicated hardware. MediaTemple offers a direct upgrade path from their lowest end VPS solution up to a complete dedicated hardware solution without any complicated migrations, they handle it for you.

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."
-Martin Luther

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1434
Slice Host
Quote:

Virtuozzo hosting is the solution I am working with that Ubercart.org will eventually be moved into. I would recommend Spry or MediaTemple for Virtuozzo based hosting.

Any experience with http://www.slicehost.com?

The reason I ask, is that there is a need have a plan for another host just in case my present provider goes bottom up for my Ubercart site.

Re: Slice Host

Splicehost indeed looks quite ok.
I'm a little worried about updates and configuring the system... I'm just getting it with drupal... Keeping all modules updated that is. Can't image what I would do wrong with root level access...

itsallhell's picture
Juice: 9
downtownhost.com or hawkhost.com

There are plenty of good shared hosts to choose from. Some of the ones I am aware of:

downtownhost.com
hawkhost.com
http://www.cartikahosting.com/clustered-hsphere-hosting/Hsphere-Multiple...
http://asmallorange.com/services/hosting/
http://www.medialayer.com/hosting/application-hosting.html

You can read reviews about downtownhost.com http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?searchid=5922237

hawkhost.com http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?searchid=5922244

cartikahosting.com at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?searchid=5922252

You can read more reviews on WHT.

Scott M. Sanders's picture
Juice: 326

We use Go Daddy -- the McDonald's of web services.

Their Hosting Connection will install and maintain Drupal for you, but if you need timely security updates, I would install manually.

j0rd's picture
Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 453

I will not recommend Dreamhost. It's crap for Drupal and you'll end up leaving eventually.

Drupal cheap shared hosts seem to use ANHosting.com or BlueHost.com . I have not used either, but other people (including in here) seem to use them.

For cheap and wonderful un-managed VPS's you have the choice between SlideHost and Linode. I'd recommend Linode, as there's more bang for your buck. SliceHost may have better support in a crisis though. I personally use and setup my clients on Linodes. $30/mnt, gets you a wonderful server. You could probably get by with a $20 a month account as well.

After that you're looking at dedicated or cloud hosting. Not really required for a small/medium size site.

I've actually used GoDaddy with out much problems in the past. This surprised me. I would not recommend them though.

PS. WebHostWorld is a spammer. Please remove him from the site: http://www.ubercart.org/user/16341