18 replies [Last post]
primerg's picture
Juice: 19
Was this information Helpful?

Hi!

Our team is currently developing a module that will allow multiple shipping quotes for a single order. For example, I have 1 order with 3 products and I want each product shipped to a different address.

We are having an issue deciding whether we should just split this into 3 orders on submission (easy) or override the way orders store shipping and products to keep this as 1 single order (hard)

If you were a customer with two products in your cart and wanted to send them to two different addresses:

1. Would you care if the site created 2 separate orders? (2 emails, 2 orders in your order history, etc.)
2. Or would you prefer 1 order with 2 products displaying different shipping addresses next to each? (Same flow as today with adjustment to order display)

For #1 there is definitely less coding but we don't know how useful an 'order splitter' module would be to the community.
For #2 there will be a lot of coding and we think a 'multiple ship to' module might possibly be well received by the community.

Any insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

daddison's picture
Juice: 4
Re: Multiple address shipping quote suggestion

I'd like to have this functionality for an Ubercart installation I'll be working on this year. I don't think the one order or two orders issue matters too much to me. If option #1 is faster and easier, then go for it.

Why do you think option #1 is less user-friendly?

primerg's picture
Re: Re: Multiple address shipping quote suggestion

My impression is that a user might get confused because they suddenly get 2 or 3 orders/receipts. Also, Im not sure if store admins would prefer to organize multiple receipts for 1 order.

Uberchic's picture
Administrator
Juice: 754
Re: Re: Re: Multiple address shipping quote suggestion

All of the times I've shipped to multiple addresses in one purchase (all 2 of them), I only ended up with one order. I think option 1 is a nice short term fix, but I think eventually, most stores will want option 2. 1 works fine if we're talking 2 or 3 addresses/orders, but how scalable is that? How scalable would option 2 be? I don't know how different the resource needs are between 1 and 2, but if we're voting here, my vote is #2.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Juice: 1140
Re: Re: Re: Multiple address shipping quote suggestion

I agree, separate orders is confusing to the customer. Plus it makes customer service / reporting more complex. Just imagine the customer calling/emailing saying "I had a problem with my last order for x and y" and you find their last order which only has x on it. . .

I vote for #2, but knowing how complex that would be to implement, I might just implement #1 if I were doing it. I see either solution as being useful and good (#1) or great (#2) for the community. Please keep us up to date on your approach.
--Andy

thedarkflop's picture
Juice: 25
Looking forward to this

I am on the verge on building something like this as well, as I need my customers to be able to have multiple shipping address, that they can updated and delete.

Looking forward to this.

autopoietic's picture
Juice: 52
Multiple stored shipping addresses per user

Unless I'm wrong I think you might be looking at another use-case where:

each user has multiple stored shipping addresses but chooses one address to send an order to
rather than (main emphasis of this thread):
several addresses may be provided for a single order

In any case I suppose it might well be desirable for the user to store the multiple addresses that they wish to send to for future use.

autopoietic's picture
Juice: 52
Also Interested

I have had some interest in this for a store that sells confectionary. I suppose that (option 2) might be useful, but it seems like if not careful the interface might confuse the 95% of the site customers that give just one shipping address.

Have you created a drupal project for this, or do you have any code you would like to share for testing here?

georgiebon's picture
Juice: 12
I Choose #2

Definitely #2 - have you made any headway with creating this module?

primerg's picture

we did #1. it is still under development though.

atgdesign's picture
Juice: 15
multiple recipients

I have a client who wants the ability for clients to send the same giftbox (cookies) to multiple recipients, for example at holiday time. then to store that list to use again next time. So they might buy 20 boxes of cookies, then pick from their list who gets them, hit submit, print labels, etc. Is this a custom module or can something be adapted to accomplish this request.

abhi1487's picture
Juice: 24
Multiple shipping addresses option per product

Hi,

Need functionality to implement Multiple shipping addresses option per product using ubercart, Any help will be highly appreciated.

Teezi42's picture
Juice: 3

I am also in dire need of any help on this topic. I think very soon the demand for this will be even greater as the bigger e-commerce sites like Amazon offer this functionality to their shoppers.

Any help or direction will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

derim's picture
It would be great to get some updates about #2

It would be great to get some updates about #2

We also going to build a store with multiple manufacturers. Each product in a store will be shipped by some manufacturer from their location and their shipping method. When customer places an order he will need to get a separate shipping quote for each product group in his cart per manufacturer. Then manufacturers have to be notified about order.

krainsong's picture
Juice: 17
I also need this functionality

I am building a site with Ubercart and have a request from my client to also create this functionality. What is the status of the development?
thank you,
Karen

primerg's picture

this was a completed using option 1 but it was a total hack of ubercart. it was a bit a headache to integrate such functionality.

pawan_kumar's picture
Juice: 4
hi, Pls i need this module with option 2

Hi,
I am currently developing an ecommerce site in Drupal 7 , and i need to implement multiple shipping address.
But me not well experience in drupal module development so pls help me ,i need this this module for drupal 7.
site ur; :www.rootsnewyork.com

hinrichsislcocom's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 92
Still no contrib for this feature, eh?

Looks like people have been requesting this logical feature for a long time. Is it true that out of all the people who needed this, nothing has been developed or contributed? We are in need of it too. If this indeed does not yet exist,: it appears the Ubercart Addresses module would likely be part of the solution.

Bob Hinrichs
ISL Consulting
http://www.islco.com

yeaoh's picture
developing something similar

I'm developing something similar. the module will allow for either a simple delivery address or multiple delivery address. I going to look around first and see if there is something to start from.

http://www.yeaoh.com
Yeaoh Media Inc.