57 replies [Last post]
jorditr's picture
Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 256
Was this information Helpful?

Hi you all.

That's my first contribution and I'm not sure which is the best way to contribute it, so I've started here. I'm building a (somewhat big) e-commerce site and the customers strongly wanted a grid view of the list of products. Since I got not results from the uc_catalog_grid.module (basically it was not working) I studied it and realized it was very easy to implement on the regular uc_catalog.module. Well, that's what I've done, I've added uc_catalog_grid.module onto uc_catalog.module and I wonder if it could be evaluated even to be considered core. What's new on it:

• upgraded catalog settings page with three collapsible fieldsets for catalog itself (most of it now), block settings and new grid view (with checkbox for activating/deactivating it)
  • functions to display the products on a grid instead of the present table list
  • possiibility to choose between regular list (as usual) and grid view with adjustable width (number of columns)
  • double cheched Eye-wink compatibility with taxonomy module as it was detected on some thread, now it works without hacks on the the taxonomy.module
  • upgraded css file with new styles ready to work
  • it won't require setting views or additional modules

Well, most of it was there, I've just put all the pieces together, and I think it is a big improvement since it allows to select what kind of display you prefer, and, sincerely, for most comercial shops is more atractive the grid display option, I'm afraid at some point it had to be implemented.
It's really easy to test, simply substitute both files inside the uc_catalog.module folder with the ones I provide on that message (preferably on a test environment). Go to admin/store/settings/catalog/edit, see the new config page, set the grid parameters and go to your catalog pages. As far as I've checked it can't break anything, you could even restore those files with the original ones and the site will work as before.
Plans to upgrade it:

• I've seen it on some other thread: table-less grid display, it would be not difficult using divs instead of td cells inside a table and floating them, but it's easier to test by now
  • menu tabs to have not the list table OR the gird view but both, probably with a settings checkbox to set one of the three viewing possibilities

Well, I hope someone test it and explain here her/his impressions Smiling

PreviewAttachmentSize
uc_catalog_with_grid.zip9.77 KB
jorditr's picture
alpha7e

Wops, I forgot to comment that this modified version of the uc_catalog.module is based on
current alpha7e.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15476
Re: alpha7e

A quick bit of feedback... it seems like the display may be optimized for a particular theme or set of CSS rules? Check out this page on the old Livetest - http://livetest.ubercart.org/old/catalog/27/stuff. I just saw that turning off "Add to Cart" fixes this problem, but it might be nice to have the default functionality here... where it just displays the add to cart button and will send you to the page if there are attributes that need to be selected. It would be nice on the product grid for products to have a more uniform vertical alignment, but that may just depend on the store owner using all the same sized images and product names. Obviously, the product grid isn't for everyone.

I like what you've done with the settings page, though, and I have a few questions about some settings... Not checking the box for the link display didn't seem to work to make "Catalog" not a link (and clicable is a typo of clickable there). Also, the main catalog browsing seems to have been changed so it's only showing 2 columns at http://livetest.ubercart.org/old/catalog instead of the 3 that I've selected.

jorditr's picture
Thanks and answers

Hi Ryan.

Thanks for taking your time to review my proposal. I know that the product grid is not for everyone but obviously the simple line by line table neither Eye-wink

It looks to me that the line by line model is good for long lists without picture while the grid is better for a more contained and organized look of the catalog oriented to mainly displaying the pictures, that's why I thought it could be interesting to have both systems to open to a wider range of users without hacks Smiling

>> it seems like the display may be optimized for a particular theme or set of CSS rules?

I don't understand exactly what you mean. Probably depends on many CSS rules around that catalog display table. I've added the new uc_catalog.css file replacing the previous one with some new visual adjustments, but more things could be adjusted.

>> and clicable is a typo of clickable

Wops, true, too fast coding for a non-native english speaker.

>> Not checking the box for the link display didn't seem to work to make "Catalog" not a link

I thought I had solved that. I've had a quick look at the code and I don't see the mistake. I see that the if statement for deciding if the block title is clicable or not works. It lools is not saving the variable from the admin page. Extrange because the code is so simple that I can't see what's wrong. I'll try to solve it.

>> the main catalog browsing seems to have been changed so it's only showing 2 columns at

uhmm, true line

684 > if(variable_get('uc_catalog_grid_display', false)) {

should be changed to

684 > if(variable_get('uc_catalog_grid_display_width', false)) {

since it's not looking at the proper varible. I was setting 3 on both grids and I didn't perceived the difference.

Well, thanks for you feedback. It needs more work.

jorditr's picture
Width on <td> broken by attributes

>> where it just displays the add to cart button and will send you to the page if there are attributes that need to be selected

Yes, it's true but in fact here we're just calling the function uc_product_add_to_cart from uc_product.module which is the one introducing those long fieldsets that break the table:

if (variable_get('uc_catalog_grid_display_add_to_cart', TRUE))
        $product_table .= theme('uc_product_add_to_cart', $product);
      $product_table .= '</td>';

On uc_product_add_to_cart we can't control that those widgets appear because that function doesn't control it, the widgets look to come from the uc_atributtes.module. I'm not sure of that, you probably know best since you have wrote those functions Eye-wink

Any suggestion?

jorditr's picture
Re: Re: alpha7e

I've found that the function that adds attributes to that table is uc_attribute_form_alter. Is there a way to prevent it to add that attributes list while on the products list?

jorditr's picture
New version with corrections

Hi Ryan.

Well, I've solved:

• the 'clicable' typo
  • setting the catalog block title as link or not now works
  • the catalog grid width properly independent of the catalog columns (for categories)

So, it means that we should find a solution for not having attributes to be included when displaying the cart button.

I've attached the new file, would you mind to check if solves the problems you appreciated on your test? I've added a JTR tag comment at the top of the module file in order to be able to distinguish it when openning it on an editor.

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog.zip 9.28 KB
Ryan's picture
Re: New version with corrections

I think you'll want to incorporate the following function to have an add to cart button w/o the attribute select boxes and stuff:

<?php
  drupal_get_form
('uc_catalog_buy_it_now_form_'. $node->nid, $node)
?>
jorditr's picture
Almost there

Hi Ryan, YESSSS!!!!! that's the function, well, almost.

I've attached a new version which has a new config option on the catalog grid area to add or not attributes on the grid when Add to cart button is selected.

It works in both cases and in both cases adds products to the cart and pressing the add to cart button jumps right to the cart list, except... when the product has attributes which jumps to the product page. If we select show attibutes on the grid on the config page always adds a product to the cart.

Uhmm it's not exactly bad, but it's not the point. Any new suggestion? Smiling

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog.zip 9.37 KB
Ryan's picture
Re: Almost there

The latest version fixed the block title, but I'm not seeing the fix for the categories listing (see http://livetest.ubercart.org/old/catalog - it's set to have 3 columns). I've verified that this is working on the current Livetest, so some variable or default that you have changed somewhere must still be off. Puzzled

Regarding the add to cart button on products w/ attributes/options... I actually like the way it is. If a store has products where it makes sense for the attribute forms to be display in the catalog, they can turn it on with your setting. Otherwise, it redirects to the product page w/ the message saying the customer needs to select some stuff. I think in the future I'd like to see a trimmed down intermediate page that is just the product details and the form, but this is a pretty good solution for now.

jorditr's picture
More testing

Hi Ryan.

The adjustement to columns is working on my site, are you sure is not related with your cache? I can't see the page you link since there are no public privileges. In fact what I can't change now is the number of columns on the categories table, which in fact is done by a function which is not on uc_catalog.module and I don't manage to find Sad

About the add to cart button I've read your comments and, well, it's true, it has sense Smiling

jorditr's picture
New version on alpha8 code

Hi you all. New version of my revamped uc_catalog.module with:

• based on alpha8 release uc_catalog.module version
  • bug on catalog grid corrected (application of uc_catalog_category_columns was wrong on previos versions)
  • new organization of settings page with more adjustments
  • uc_product_nodes_per_page now considered on settings page (I'm afraid it is not even on the official release)
  • new block "cheapest products" under catalog grid on top catalog level page
  • new block "best sellers" under catalog grid on top catalog level page
  • new block "ask on our contact form" under catalog grid on top catalog level page
  • parameters on the settings page to activate or deactivate each one of this three blocks

Questions to resolve:

• add a variable to set the path to a specific form to catalog consult
  • split "cheapest products" and "best sellers" on functions accesible from block_hook to have them from other places on your site
  • a few other things to come... Smiling

Hope to read here your opinions and bug hunting Smiling

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog_jtr_v04.zip 11.17 KB
jorditr's picture
A couple of corrections

Hi, I've uploaded a new version with a couple of bugs corrected:

• reviewed inconsistencies on variable_get calls between settings page and their application which could be consfusing if using default values
  • block "ask on our contact form" has a textfield on settings page for writting a drupal url for a specific form for product questions, "contact" as default
AttachmentSize
uc_catalog_jtr_v042.zip 11.25 KB
Ryan's picture
Re: A couple of corrections

Jordi, progress is looking excellent. Only recommendation I have at the moment is to update the settings overview to include the settings you've added to the settings form. Forgive me if this is already done.

jorditr's picture
Setting overview and clean up

Hi Ryan, thanks for your support Smiling

Yes, I've added all the new features as settings, even having new subfieldset inside the fieldsets, and cleaned up some unconsistencies on variables that Lyle has discovered after reviewing it. Next step, probably tomorrow will be a better arrangement inside the code for the blocks at the bottom of the catalog page as real drupal-blocks which probably will add even more flexibility. Stay tunned Eye-wink

jorditr's picture
Best sellers block

Uhmm, BTW Ryan, is there a way to know how many units of every product have been sold? That's the sense of having a "Best sellers" block and by now my code just displays the most expensive ones since I haven't found where are the number of units sold for every product (well, or catalog unit, considering classes and atributes). I had a look at the excellent uc_reports.module but couldn't find an easy way to select those "best sellers". Any suggestion?

Ryan's picture
Re: Best sellers block

The only real way to do it right now is to count up how many times a particular product model is found in the uc_order_products table. Depending on the size of the product catalog, that could get pretty hard on the load time without some caching.

jorditr's picture
Re: Re: Best sellers block

Ok, thanks Ryan, it's true that's the place to have that information.

jorditr's picture
Grid Catalog v.05

Well, that's probably the last version (by now...) if everything is right and anyone finds bugs. Changes:

• code clean up, until my knowledge allows Eye-wink
  • "Best sellers" and "Cheapeast" blocks function splitted on separate functions to be reused (theme functions)
  • both blocks allow to be choosen how many rows they will show from the settings page between 1 and 4
  • the corresponding settings at the settings page for catalogue
  • both blocks appears as regular-drupal-blocks on the admin blocks page to be used anywhere on the site (although preferably at bottoms or so since they build quite a wide content
  • best sellers select now properly selects the best seller ones from the uc_order_products table

If nobody complains that's my proposal for the uc_catalog.module upgrade and thus I would like Lyle and Ryan to check them. New features could come for future releases but I would prefer to have that optimized and promoted to core if uber-team so considers Smiling
Keep comming your comments.

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog.zip 11.56 KB
green's picture
Juice: 14
Hi jorditr, thanks a lot for

Hi jorditr,
thanks a lot for this nice contrib! It looks great!
Is there a way to get the products model number (SKU) on products grid display?

something like this:

<?php

$product_table

.= '<td align=center>';
      if (
variable_get('uc_catalog_grid_display_title', TRUE)) {

$product_table .= '<span class=catalog_grid_image>'.$imagelink.'</span>';

$product_table .= '<span class=catalog_grid_title>'.$titlelink.'</span>';

$product_table .= '<span class=catalog_grid_model>'.$model.'</span>';
      }
?>

But '.$model.' doesn't work here?

jorditr's picture
Re: Hi jorditr, thanks a lot for

Hi Green, you added the variable on its place but you have to consider that it has to be filled by some action and you forgotten to tell the proper select to call that value on its table (uc_products) on line 700:

$sql = 'SELECT DISTINCT(n.nid), n.sticky, n.title, n.created, p.model

Anyway, I've made a new version v.051 with that change, incluiding a check box on the settings page to allow or disallow to have that model reference on the grid.

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog_jtr_v051.zip 11.61 KB
green's picture
Juice: 14
Hi jorditr, thank you for

Hi jorditr,
thank you for your good explanation, i'm really bad in php programming.

And i thank you very much for the new v051!!! You made me really happy!! Smiling

jorditr's picture
Great

I'm also happy, you're welcome Smiling

I'm not that good at php, but it's something which can learnt Eye-wink

jimijamesi's picture
Juice: 75
Re: uc_catalog.module modified to display products on a grid

Nice job on this module, congratulations.
A few suggestions re usability features... in order of relative importance (imho)

1) I think the most important bit is an option (checkbox) on the config page to include the quantity field... would be nice if it was independant of the add to cart button for max flexability (obviously you would not want the qty field to be displayed without add to cart, but some users may like it as is now - add to cart button only)

2) perhaps another option to tighten up white space (minimize the padding on top & bottom of rows)

3) adjustment of grey border line (perhaps an invisible border option) or ability to define a hex colour of the border line... then admin can make it same colour as background to make it invisible.

4) a bit of ajax so when you hover over an image it shows a floating full size image (a check box option in config would toggle this functionality on/off)...(homedepot.ca does this.. clever use of ajax)

again great job...well done.... down right uberlicious

jorditr's picture
Improvements and styles

Hi jimijamesi.

Regarding point 1 we could add many, many things on the grid view, I've just added the SKU for green but maybe that has a limit. Maybe there's enough code for being easy to customize. Having the possibility to have another field as quantity would start to make the grid to big when user may easily select the quantity on the cart page.

Regarding points 2 and 3 both are related to the css style sheet provided where everybody may add all the adjustments required to fit the site design. I've tried to add as many id and class to identify every piece in order to be stylized easily. If you want borders to disapear just go to the css file and change them to 0 (the ones related with the table).

Regarding 4 it's true would be nice. We're discussing some more basic options to add to the next official release, perhaps that could go for the next one Smiling

Thanks for your comments.

Mariano's picture
Juice: 110
Re: Improvements and styles

Thanks for your contribution, jorditr.
I really like your job.
I used to have UC alpha 7c, and used a catalog grid display module. I guess that using views as well, it was possible to have the frontpage display the product using a grid too. This was a sort of 'Featured Products' for the main site, for whichever items were promoted to frontpage. Do you know, using your module, how to display this items at the frontpage using the grid?

Thanks =)

jorditr's picture
Featured products

Hi Mariano, and thanks for your support and comments.

To accomplish that "featured products to frontpage" on the last v05 and v051 I provided that both blocks works on the catalog configuration page but also now they also are two available blocks on drupal's own blocks page. Here you could activate those blocks and restrict them to appear on the pages you wish, for example on the front page, without any need to views.

Another question is what does each block represents, on that case "cheapest products" and "best sellers" which maybe are not your requirements. I'm thinking on an easy way to allow to select different kind of selections on each block to satisfy site's admin needs. Meanwhile I find a solution the only way is adapting the code of two blocks selects to your needs...

jorditr's picture
Credist to david

BTW, credits have to go to david who published the first catalog grid module which code I took to create that variation of the uc_catalogue.module. I wanted to create something similar when I found his module and I took his work to create the grid which I've upgraded with more features and making it compatible with the present release. On my agenda is changing the present code from tables to css-divs code.

TutusForToddlers's picture
Juice: 158
How to change title and text of "Cheapest Products" block?

I have this new uc_catalogue.module in place and it is great.

I need to know where to modify the code to change the title and text of the blocks that the module creates. I dont really want to say "Cheapest".

Any suggestions?

jorditr's picture
Hi Claire, lines 293 and 294

Hi Claire,

lines 293 and 294 for the block name inside the blocks admin page,

line 797 for the cheapest products inside the t('') function:

$output .= '<h2 class="title cheapest">'.t('Our Cheapest Products').'</h2>';

line 829 for the best sellers products inside the t('') function:

$output .= '<h2 class="title best-sellers">'.t('Our Best Sellers').'</h2>';
jorditr's picture
Re: Hi Claire, lines 293 and 294

Hmmm, that makes me think I should provide on the settings page the possibility to change those strings to be able to even customize more the blocks...

jorditr's picture
New v.6

Hi you all.

I'm still discussing some of this upgrades with Lyle but, meanwhile new version v.6 to test and answer some requests from Claire and Sophia, which I also had. The goal has been to look for giving the store admins much more control and flexibility on customizing their visual presentation. Let's see:

• "Cheapest products" now is "Special Offers"
  • both blocks titles are fully customizables, write what you prefer
  • help text to explain that block at bottom is also fully customizable, also write here what you prefer
  • help text may be excluded if you only want to show the grid of products, on both cases
  • so many parameters required a new tab, so new tab for block where all this block settings and also the catalog block are at your view
  • drupal blocks (possibility to view those catalog blocks as drupal blocks) updated
  • the whole visual catalog grid top level now available as regular block
  • compatibility with panels module verified, make with it the kind of presentation for your catalog that you want, independently of the regular catalog module presentation
  • if you are not interested on this three regular drupal blocks and you consider that add to many things to the blocks admin page uncheck them and they will be not available as drupal blocks BUT without loosing the regular catalog tree-list block
  • the cheapeast products block now changes to "Special Offers", now mark as "Sticky" whatever products you want to offer as special prices and they will appear on the block, an easy way to use regular Drupal tools to mark special offers products and highlight them on a visual block

I tested all the new check/uncheck new features on my own site on developement and they look to work properly but maybe some combination could go wrong, who knows, tell me if you find something wrong.

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog_jtr_v6.zip 12.36 KB
Mariano's picture
Juice: 110
Re: New v.6

Thanks again for this update, jorditr.
I tested it and I like it. Really appreciate the way stickies are set as special offers.

=)

Lyle's picture
AdministratoreLiTe!
Juice: -40969
Re: New v.6

I've committed this version to the repository after making some changes. Mostly these were getting the code up to W3C and Drupal standards. I took out the variable "uc_independent_catalog_blocks" because they were always being displayed before it was set. And then, when I couldn't find them in the list, I couldn't turn them off. Since they are disabled by default, it's OK not to have that variable.

I've attached the catalog files for those who want to use it but don't have Bazaar.

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog.tar.gz 11.71 KB
jorditr's picture
Re: Re: New v.6

Thanks a lot Lyle.

Dubs's picture
Juice: 79
A minor problem....

Hi there,

I have noticed if there are no Special Offers (i.e. no stickies), then I get the following warnings: -

warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/smsimagi/public_html/sites/all/modules/ubercart/uc_product/uc_product.module on line 874.

warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/smsimagi/public_html/sites/all/modules/ubercart/uc_manufacturer/uc_manufacturer.module on line 302.

If there are some stickies, then these warnings go away and everything seems to be OK.

David

jorditr's picture
Re: A minor problem....

Hi Dubs. It's true if there are no stickies the select is void and no having results to show the next step complains. I'll correct it as soon as possible displaying a message that tells that no special offers are available. In fact now I see that this is the same error message that probably another user called Sophia had on another thread.

jorditr's picture
Re: Re: A minor problem....

Well, to correct Duds and Sophia error here you have a new corrected version. In fact this version has some additions:

• theme_uc_catalog_products() funtions in charge of listing the products verifies if there are products to list, in case there was no products instead of an error message it created a box displaying a "No products are available on that category." message
  • rebuilt settings area with three different pages and subtabs navigation for catalog, grid and blocks as is usual on other ubercart settings page for other modules
  • rebuilt overview page with all the settings of the previous three pages listed as is usual on other ubercart settings page for other modules
  • description under Special Offers block check box explaining which data is listed it lists and what happens if there is no data available
  • description under Best Sellers block check box explaining which data is listed and what happens if there is no data available
  • new style div.no-products on the css file to adjust how this not available data is displayed

It is based on the last Lyle upload here and on bazaar. Thanks for support and feedback.

AttachmentSize
uc_catalog_jtr_v062.zip 12.83 KB
Lyle's picture
AdministratoreLiTe!
Juice: -40969
Re: Re: Re: A minor problem....

Merged version 062 into the repository. I changed the settings overview to use format_plural() when necessary. I also made some of the translation strings easier for the extractor script. (No \' or \", and you have to use literal strings, not variables.)

All in all, good work, Jordi. Thanks.

jorditr's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: A minor problem....

Ah, ok, sorry for this mistakes. Thanks Lyle.

bowwowadmin's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.
Juice: 70
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A minor problem....

Thank you so much for this module it has saved my sanity trying to do this in views and panels.
have a good x mas

My SO just asked if I'm going to be available on x mas now I can say yes... (for a little while)Smiling

Eric

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1430
Repository - Where is it?

Lyle:

Would like to give uc catalog jtr v062 a try for a product gird. Notice that an older version is listed as a download in the thread. However there is a newer version placed in the 'repository'.

Where do I find the repository and what do I do to get that file? Did not see any links in the Uber site to get there. Assume that 'contributions' does not equal the "repository'.

Now trying Uber version alpha 8 on a localhost.

Thanks,

Jim

jimijamesi's picture
Juice: 75
Re: Repository - Where is it?

the repository is the latest code kept in a version control system specifically using software called bazaar. see instructions here
http://www.ubercart.org/docs/developer/629/bazzar

happy ubergrids

Alaska's picture
Bazaar Worked!

Thanks so much for the Bazaar URL. It was 100% on.

Found the new files in my Bazaar folder. Placed in the test localhost folder over the top of the 8 Alpha files.

Did find the settings for the grid under store/settings/catalog/edit/grid. Gave a 2 wide grid a try. One column is 260 px with the other at 212 px. Any ideas on having them both the same size? The theme is 3 columns wide and may have to try a 2 column wide for more grids.

It looks nice and thanks for all of the work to make it so.

Jim

jorditr's picture
Re: Bazaar Worked!

Hi Alaska. Anything forces the columns to be the same width. If the they are not of the same width is because individual titles for every product (we could say in fact every cell) are taking in account by the browser to decide final widths. Even if we force widths to be equal many browsers will accomodate column widths to be different. In an extrem case is easy to understand if in one column the longest of the titles is 10 characters longs and on another columns the longest title (product name) is 40 characters long. If we force the columns to be the same width then on that extrem case some product names would force a new line and then images wouldn't be misaligned. It's a question of compromises. I'll have a look at the code Smiling

Alaska's picture
Product Grid

Yes, there is no one easy answer. Here are three screen shots two using a 4 column grid and the other with a 2 column grid. Each as a different theme.

It would seem that having the top of title, images and add to cart button all lining up would be graphically pleasing. Seems that your suggestion of limiting all titles to 1 line or two lines would be an answer.

So many words on a line and that is it. If it breaks improperly then edit the text as it is hard to tell when a line break will ocure. Something like a max length in a form field text box. A help, but not 100% as longer words would tend to not break.

Overall, the grid works nice with a lot of control. Now to just train my site editors to not get too carried away with titles. Only so many words that must fit on exactly two lines - not one - not three - but two......

Jim

AttachmentSize
4_column_b.gif 25.35 KB
4_column.gif 21.5 KB
2_column.gif 33.32 KB
jorditr's picture
Re: Product Grid

Hi Alaska, beautiful products at very interesting prices!! Laughing out loud

You're product titles are very long Laughing out loud It's difficult to balance everything, not if titles are so long, but if sometimes are long and sometimes are short. All in all I think that in your case are too long, since they are not product names but almost product descriptions. I feel you have some possible solutions:

• give a name to every product and move the present titles to a new field, either a new CCK or use teaser field to save that short description (there are some modules that let you edit the teaser field on node edit independently of the body content)
  • leave your titles as they are and create a new css rule (probably ".category-grid-products span.catalog_grid_title") with fixed height, on your case a big amount that would prevent whatever of the longest titles fit, the sorter ones would leave som white room but images would be aligned
  • ask to us to crop the title to n characters, a function that whatever characters could have a title only display the fisrt "n" ones, that way you always will have the same title length, although you'll never see the title complete

I've adopted the last solution for a uc_product modification I've proposed at http://www.ubercart.org/forum/ideas_and_suggestions/1920/uc_products_mod...
You'll see there a pic where all the products have been forced to have exactly the same wdth and height on every cell, just cropping the title. BTW, maybe you would like that modification that adds a list of other products on the same category to the node (product) view throu a drupal block.

Alaska's picture
Grid Solutions

Jorditr:

Thanks for the product comments. The wife will be most pleased for sure.... The online site has all of the items listed in the usual Ubercart fashion without grids. The plan would be to move over to a grid to give more products home page exposure with less page turning.

In 100% agreement with your analysis of the titles. Shorter will be better.

Took a look at Amazon and noticed that they like to use one column much like Uber. For their grid listed items, Amazon will add a blank line to grids that have two lines for spacing. Must be an automated function as what books will show up is DB driven.

Like your solutions and thanks for the suggestions. Will take a look at your proposal. Have include an Amazon image, but you have seen what they have done.

Jim

AttachmentSize
amazon.gif 9.86 KB
jorditr's picture
Re: Grid Solutions

Say your wife my wife would be amazed with your designs Smiling

Regarding titles. It's not a questions that your titles should be shorter, the point is that I think that they are not titles but descriptions, or say, short descriptions (in fact, teasers). From a marketing point of view you could add suggestive titles to your wife's works, as such beautiful products deserve like "crystal wind", "swans song", "moon colors", uhmm, whatever. Accept that both as a technical comments and a personal comment.

Regarding Amazon listing, they sell books, not beautiful pieces of art that should catch buyers eye instantly. In that sense, table list is likely to be a good solution for amazon, in fact the cover it's what should inspire you to buy the book but the content and size, and pages, and so on, and on your site is the other way around, it's the pic and not the explanations what will lead people to buy your products. Every shop has different marketing goals and techniques and that's what both kind of listing are necessary on a shopping software. On that sense I would even increase the size of the thumbnail presented on the grid (imagecache settings) and reduce the number to items shown at once to maybe 8 or even 6, and only two columns at a time. All that IMHO Smiling

Regarding your amazon pic, it's true, more and more e-shops use the "other buyers also bought" box as a way to move buyers to keep buying other interesting items on the shop. That's what I'm trying to get with the uc_product upgrade suggestion Smiling

Alaska's picture
Grids

Jorditr:

Glad that you like the products. Here is the live site for a closer look. It is a standard Drupal theme and has not been updated to your gird. It uses 7E, but testing on local host with Alpha 8 and your grids.

http://jewelry.alaskawebfactory.com/

Like your suggestions about the titles. Yes, they do say more than what is necessary. And Amazon needs to have a different take. In my case, shorter will be better as a title should be all that is needed. The product should sell itself. And could be listed with the product number and perhaps add search to look for specific terms or colors and not included in the title.

The images can be larger as per your suggestion. That will give a better feel for the item. Good suggestion! Will try that on the test site.

Placed V034 on local host, but did not see any change in the grid presentation. Looked in blocks, but did not find anything that stood out. (best seller - special offers) Let me know where to look to see your updated changes.

Jim

jorditr's picture
Re: Grids

Hi Alaska. The v.034 relates to the uc_product module not to uc_catalog, does nothing on the grid, the new additions allow for a new block for related products. We're discussing with Ryan to split all the blocks with "marketing interest" to a different module.