46 replies [Last post]
csdesignco's picture
Juice: 230
Was this information Helpful?

I need to create an implementation of Ubercart into an existing Drupal website similar to Groupon (http://www.groupon.com) where advertisers can sell "offers" that users can buy and have the coupon then emailed to them. Originally I was thinking of having the user gain access to a node that "is" the coupon and allowing them to print off that node -- this now seems foolish because it will probably create more work. I would have to give and remove a role for every coupon, or use some similar logic that restricts access until time of purchase.

I now think the best approach is:

- Create a product type called "coupon"
- Create a custom email receipt template for Ubercart that is only used for this product type (is this feature already available somewhere?)
• This custom receipt would include the coupon title, description, expiration, logo if needed, etc., as well as a unique code that is relevant to that coupon only (this will all come from CCK so I don't think I need help here)

Does anyone have suggestions of things I may not be considering or possible roadblocks? The biggest issue I can think of is the authenticity of the coupons themselves. I don't know how Groupon is able to tell businesses to trust that the coupons that people print off and bring in are legitimate. Certainly I could buy 1 item @ groupon.com and use that same template to create copies of other offers they sell. Perhaps the solution is a long custom coupon code that is only valid for each coupon, and to have the offers/coupons expire so quickly that no one would be able to duplicate them realistically.

marvix's picture
Juice: 6
Hi, Did you got a solution

Hi,

Did you got a solution for that ?

csdesignco's picture
Re: Hi, Did you got a solution

Yes, I have come up with a long-term, extensible and elegant solution.

- Created a new product class called "Coupon"
- Installed CCK Computed Field module, added a new field to my coupon content type called "Coupon ID" with the following values:

Computed Code: $node_field[0]['value'] = uniqid();
Display Format: $display = $node_field_item['value'];
Required: Yes
Number of Values: 1
Data Type: varchar(32)

You only need to give 1 role the ability to see this unique coupon ID #, so that they can give it to their vendors to compare a coupon that a customer might bring in. However you want to handle that aspect is up to you.

When someone purchases this product, they of course need to see the Coupon ID on their receipt so they can print it off. I simply modified the customer invoice template (sites/all/modules/ubercart/uc_order/templates/customer.itpl.php) by adding the following code to line 238 (just AFTER the closing bracket } for the SKU code):

<?php
/* Include Coupon Code if applicable */
echo t('Coupon Code: ');
$noderef = node_load(array("nid" => $order->products[0]->nid));
echo
$noderef->field_coupon_code[0]['value'];
?>

I did not include a check to see if the coupon code exists; I probably should have done that but we don't sell any products other than coupons so in our case it's always relevant. Perhaps you should include something to check that $noderef->field_coupon_code[0]['value'] actually contains data -- could be something as simple as

<?php
$noderef
= node_load(array("nid" => $order->products[0]->nid));
if(
strlen($noderef->field_coupon_code[0]['value']) > 0) {
     echo
t('Coupon Code: ');
     echo
$noderef->field_coupon_code[0]['value'];
}
?>
Vantel's picture
Juice: 68
Re: Re: Hi, Did you got a solution

Thanks for the code. I'm working on a similar website. Do you have idea how I can display (1). A product page per city (2). Number of buys with the progress bar similar to: http://www.groupon.com/houston/. Your help will be highly appreciated.

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Re: Hi, Did you got a solution

You can use Views to generate either a block or the MySQL query that you'll need in order to get the # of buys per product. That's not difficult. You'll need UC Views (http://drupal.org/project/uc_views) to get Views to see your Ubercart products and orders.

A product page per city is a bit more tough. You need to first get IP / Zip Code resolution in place for visitors so you can guess which region they live in, and then generate pages based upon the region. I would do some research @ drupal.org on how best to implement this. Perhaps a semi-solution already exists there as one or more modules.

In my mind, some kind of taxonomy / zip code attachment might do the trick, although what you're asking for is a lot of work.

Vantel's picture
csdesignco, Thank again for

csdesignco,

Thank again for the instruction. After I installed the CCK Computed Field module, I followed your instruction as follow to set the values:

In the 'DATA TYPE; I selected Varchar. There is a field called 'DATA LENGTH', just below Data Type, I entered 32. Below that field, there is the 'DEFAULT VALUE' field, but I don't know what to enter there. Furthermore, below the Default Value field, there two check box fields namely NOT NULL and SORTABLE. I don't know if I need to check any of those fields. When I finished, I tried to create a COUPON ID content, but apart from Name and Description fields, there is no field to enter list price or discount price. Or did I miss something? Please help.

csdesignco's picture
Re: csdesignco, Thank again for

Are you logged in as user=0 or did you set the permissions so your able to view the new field? Go to admin/content/node-type/[your-node-type]/fields and verify that this new CCK field is visible in this list.

You need to add 2 more CCK fields (standard text is fine) called "List Price" and "Discount".

Vantel's picture
Re: Re: csdesignco, Thank again for

Thank you for your response. I'm logged in as Administrator. I set permissions for new fields I created namely: VALUE, DISCOUNT, YOU SAVE. However, I did not see COMPUTED field in PERMISSIONS. I don't know if it supposed to show up there. Though, when I went to CONTENT TYPES, I saw COMPUTED listed there.

Below is what shows up after I created a COUPON CONTENT along side NAME and DESCRIPTION:

Coupon ID:
4cd093882b93f
Value:
$45.00
Discount:
$56.00
You Save:
$25.00

First, is the coupon ID value supposed to show up like that in the content when it is viewed?

Second, I did not see any BUY button, when I viewed the content. I looks like it is not attached to PRODUCT. How can I do that?

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Re: csdesignco, Thank again for

Under User Permissions you need to set "Coupon ID" so that it is only viewable to your administrative role. If you do not see Coupon ID in permissions you should ensure you have the CCK Content Permissions module enabled (it is a part of CCK). If you still don't see it, open up an issue at http://drupal.org/project/cck

I think you have misunderstood on the node / product portion. You should have added these CCK fields to a *new* product class or to the "product" content type: http://www.ubercart.org/docs/user/3341/understanding_product_classes

In my case, I only needed 1 product type -- coupons -- so I just added the CCK fields to "product" content type.

ranx2k's picture
Juice: 9
csdesignco wrote: - Installed
csdesignco wrote:

- Installed CCK Computed Field module, added a new field to my coupon content type called "Coupon ID" with the following values:

You only need to give 1 role the ability to see this unique coupon ID #, so that they can give it to their vendors to compare a coupon that a customer might bring in. However you want to handle that aspect is up to you.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Following your instructions generates a unique coupon ID. For example: 4d27b3094428b. All visitors buying this coupon will get the exact same code.

How could I achieve a situation where all the coupons sold have a different coupon ID, and the merchant can access my site to verify if the coupon ID presented is valid or not?

Your instructions have been VERY helpful indeed. I really hope to find a solution to that last problem as well.

sputnik77's picture
Juice: 4
Looking for the same thing

has anyone found a solution to this use case? Ranx2k or anyone?

thanks

arskipaski's picture
Juice: 99
Hey guys, This sounds like an

Hey guys,

This sounds like an elegant solution indeed, basically it's all about the invoice template. One thing I'm wondering about though - what do you do if a customer buys several coupons? Like on groupon you can buy more than 1 coupon as gifts.. do you then make ubercart send out X invoices instead of one? I'm thinking about doing that, but maybe you have better ideas!

Thanks for sharing your ideas Smiling

Cheers

csdesignco's picture
Re: Hey guys, This sounds like an

Correct, it's all about the invoice. When I started this it seemed like there MUST be so much to it, but the coupons are just products in terms of ecommerce -- it's the tracking and usage that we need to account for.

Good point on multiple coupons. How does Groupon work -- multiple emails or something?

arskipaski's picture
Hey, I use CityDeals here in

Hey,

I use CityDeals here in Ireland sometimes and they do send multiple emails that look pretty much the same, just with a different voucher code and a different PDF file attached..

I suppose having PDFs is not easy with some sort of Invoice PDF module.. it's all about how to generate multiple invoices. i.e. 1 per each product in the cart.. Googling around hasn't resulted in any existing modules for that it seems (?!?!) Smiling any ideas?

csdesignco's picture
Re: Hey, I use CityDeals here in

Wow this thread is popular today!

There is a conversation about invoice as PDF here: http://www.ubercart.org/forum/support/1217/generate_pdf_invoice

You'd have to use a custom hook (custom module) to re-route how invoices are sent out, since that's really a core function of Ubercart.

A solution is to just use 1 email (like normal) but customize the invoice to include a coupon code * quantity. An end user could easily send this additional coupon code to a friend.

arskipaski's picture
Yea, crazy day here Thanks

Yea, crazy day here Smiling

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that!

Having 1 email with quantities or multiple codes listed doesn't seem like a very nice solution to me, since you might want to buy 1 coupon for yourself and 2 for your friend - unless you go together, this will make things very complicated as to who uses which code and the quantities distribution and all.. Might really need to hook into the invoice generation process and generate multiple invoices.. might be worth creating a small UC module that does just that with a couple of config options Eye-wink

Cheers

csdesignco's picture
Re: Yea, crazy day here Thanks

Look into UC's Conditional Actions for these kinds of features.

Vantel's picture
Re: Coupon as Product?

Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance. Regarding product page for each city, the country does not use zipcode, I can use Taxonomy as you suggested. However, my main question is that do I need to create a coupon as a product for each city in other to have each city listing or what is the best approach to do this?

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Coupon as Product?

I suggest you make 1 coupon, regardless of how many regions it will be used in (I use the word Region instead of City because people that live around a city or in a nearby village will still want to see that coupon).

You can use taxonomy terms to make it apply to a particular region.

For example:
Coupon ABC is attached to "new york", "chicago", "los angeles"
Coupon XYZ is attached to "london", "paris"

Then you need to use a View that is passed the term id for that region. So if New York's tid = 5, the View would intercept that tid and only show coupon ABC.

The difficult thing here is setting the customer's region. If you're willing to let them set it themselves, it's quite easy. If you need it to be set automatically, may be a bit more difficult.

Vantel's picture
Re: Re: Re: Coupon as Product?

Again, thank you for the excellent assistance. You're God sent. I want the Customers to set the Regions themselves.

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: Coupon as Product?

That's easy then! You can setup a View with an exposed Taxonomy Term filter and the work is done for you Smiling Set it to "auto complete" and the user will type the first few letters of their city and will see it appear immediately Smiling

If they enter a city that does not exist, you will need to prepare something to appear -- under arguments in your View settings, there is a dropdown for what to do when there are no nodes for the argument given -- you will select "display message to user" and type in something like "Sorry, there are no coupons for your city."

There is actually already a View available called "taxonomy term" or something like that -- it's disabled out of the box, so just go to /admin/build/views and enable it. You'll want to add a Filter that restricts the returned node types to "coupon" or whatever yours is called.

marvix's picture
Juice: 6
Thanks for the help! Next ...

Thanks for the help!

Next ... Send the coupon via SMS & email Eye-wink

csdesignco's picture
Re: Thanks for the help! Next ...

Now that I think about it, you could use Ubercart's Conditional Actions to send out additional emails and could even use them to hook into SMS.

Check out the Ubercart Conditional Actions SMS framework! http://drupal.org/project/uc_ca_sms

Who doesn't love Drupal?

Vantel's picture
csdesignco, Thank you for all

csdesignco,

Thank you for all your help. I hope, I'm not bothering you too much. One last question: How can I make a drop down menu of city names and email field on the front page, to enable customers to subscribe just like on Groupon.com. Thanks.

csdesignco's picture
Re: csdesignco, Thank you for all

Not a problem at all. I would have done this via email but it appears to be benefiting multiple people and I'd rather this be public.

You're asking for 2 different things. The drop down menu of city names would just be an exposed Views filter, or if you wanted more specific placement options, try the Jump module: http://drupal.org/project/jump

If you want to let users subscribe to some kind of newsletter or site notifications, do a search on that topic @ Drupal.org and you will see countless modules to achieve what you need.

Vantel's picture
Re: Re: csdesignco, Thank you for all

Thank you for your response. Actually, I installed SimpleNews, Email Registration and Messaging Modules. What I was trying to say is how to add an e-mail field to the front page, so that subscribers can enter their e-mail addresses right from the front page and continue their registration thereafter . Thank you

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Re: csdesignco, Thank you for all

I suggest opening up a new thread @ Drupal.org since that pertains to user registration, not to Ubercart or any modules we've discussed above.

garyamort's picture
Juice: 16
The way I handled it

Make the logon page the front page

Set the front page theme so it only has one field[email address] - there is a "use email address for userid" drupal module I used to base this off of

When a user logs in, check to see if the user exists. 3 possibilities: user exists and has "registered", user exists but has never registered, user does not exist

If the user does not exist, I create a user with the userid of the email address, password is email address, and user group is "unregistered", then automatically log the user in.

If the user does exist, I check to see if the user is of group "unregistered" and if it is, automatically log the user in[there is no personal information that needs to be "secured" at this point.

In either of the above cases, when the user actually buys something, if the user is unregistered I prompt them to set a real password and for some other details during checkout. Warning them to ensure their email address is correct as any password resets and results will be sent to that address. I also use the purchase confirmation to upgrade the membership group from "unregistered" to "registered".

So there is a basic process to allow anyone to "logon" using just their email address.

If the user is registered, I have user logon template overrides so that on the "wrong password" page instead of saying wrong password[since they didn't enter one] I have a nice friendly "This account has been secured to avoid unauthorized access to your personal details. Please enter your password or, if you have forgotten your password click this link and we will send you a customized logon link".... with the remember me checkbox pre-checked. So if they enter their password hopefully they will choose remember me and not have to log in again unless they use a new computer. And if they click the link, they get emailed an auto logon link they can use.

Vantel's picture
garyamort, Thank you for your

garyamort,

Thank you for your assistance. I installed the Simple News Register Bloc module which provides e-mail subscription field and enabled it for the front page, before I saw your response. In any case, I will check out your suggestion too.

aurelien85's picture
Juice: 11
Hello, Im building a website

Hello,

Im building a website that sell voucher codes for websites like Megaupload, etc.. Im an official reseller and am trying to set up ubercart in order to sell my vouchers.

I buy voucher codes provided by Megaupload, and i sell them back on my website.

Vouchers are codes that you can redeem in order to get a premium account on Megaupload website, like "9347T97437549537"

What im trying to do is to have products : "Megaupload premium account 1 month", "Megaupload premium account 3 month", etc. that are associated with unique voucher codes.. Not simple

When a customer buy a product "Megaupload premium account 1 month", he receives an email with a voucher code. Each voucher is unique of course. I should be able to enter voucher codes manually, and store them in a database for example..

How could i set up such a platform ? Thank you all

csdesignco's picture
Re: Hello, Im building a website

Do you create 1 product for each voucher code? OR 1 product called "Megaupload premium account 1 month" and you want to attach (for example) 100 voucher codes to this product and each time a user buys this product they receive the next voucher code in line?

aurelien85's picture

I need one product that contains multiple voucher codes, like you said, and when a voucher is bought, the system marks it as "used" so that next customer won't receive the same

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Coupon as Product?

A little searching has discovered this module: http://drupal.org/node/905246

You should post a new forum topic for your problem if you need further assistance. Also, hit "reply" on replies as opposed to posting a new response (reply is in the lower right corner of this box).

aurelien85's picture
Re: Re: Re: Coupon as Product?

Okay sorry for wrong reply link ^^

I installed lottery tickets module and it works just fine, except for a leak in permission settings. Ive posted an bug report on the module's page.

Thank you for your help !

csdesignco's picture
Re: Re: Re: Re: Coupon as Product?

That's awesome! I'm glad this solved your problem!

Vuds's picture
Juice: 14
Quantity and promotion expire

Hello there,

How are you (if you are doing it) controlling minimum and maximum quantities and promotion expires? I know that the maximum can be set as the quantity stock, but what about the minimum (as you may know, some sites like these first try to reach a minimum quantity of interest, to start selling the vouchers)?

I was thinking to make use of Flag module to count the interested people, but then how to "hide" the "buy" button and cart/checkout system for that product before we reach the minimum number?

And what about time expiring? Are you using the node_expire module or something like that?

Also, if possible, could comment to us if your business model is doing well?

Thanks for attention!

csdesignco's picture
Re: Quantity and promotion expire

Groupon actually has a patent on the specific collective-buying process: http://www.mainstreet.com/print/15494

If you're looking to duplicate the ability to sell products without actually charging the customer until a threshold is met then Ubercart is not the solution. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a fundamental change in the checkout process. To do this manually, sure, there are ways, but then your site could not scale. You want to use one of the many Groupon clones available, most of which are probably illegal.

In our case(s) selling coupons to local or regional businesses is a legitimate and successful enterprise. I don't think relying solely on this is a good model, but as an add-on to existing services (like advertising or marketing) it's a big plus.

To respond to your idea of using Flag or similar technology to track them -- yea, you'd be tracking the amount of "hits" to a product, but then you'd have to contact all of the people that "hit" a product and say "please come back to my site and purchase this item for real", at which point you're not guaranteed 100% of the users that hit the flag will actually come back, thus rendering it illegitimate. You could use a payment gateway that is set to capture payment info but not run the charge until midnight, and then cancel any orders on a product that doesn't hit the maximum quantity, but again this doesn't scale well and requires too much user intervention.

I've said this countless times in many threads throughout the Drupal community, but the only difference between Groupon and any other shopping cart is the tipping point. Whether you're selling coupon codes or t-shirts doesn't matter, those are just small problems with easy solutions. If you require a tipping point, you must use something else -- better yet, use Groupon.com!

Vuds's picture
Juice: 14
Re: Re: Quantity and promotion expire

Patents over processes don't validate in many countries outside U.S., including where I live Smiling Patents here are valid only for inventions, manufactured objects, complete products and stuff like these. Not ideas. The way it's described in the patent document you gave the link says clearly that it is a "method" (and this word is part of the title), so it can't be supported here.

Returning to my question, yes, I also do believe that it is a very good complement for sites that works with marketing and advertising, and not only to make this business model working alone (where there are already about 40 websites here trying to explore this idea, and still counting).

I'm working to really give this different approach, since I'm running a niche portal, specific for a market, that already have many features for its users, and give them one more feature, but let's consider to say that it'd be a big one because of the hype it is now.

Anyway, I'd work really different from Groupon. Because of the characteristics in the market I have this portal, plus local culture and laws, I'd have to:
- work also with e-business, beyond street stores;
- focus not only services or cheap products, but also products with big costs;
- not charge 100% value for the coupon, just the site comission value.

The process I was thinking was to use Flag, but to count the minimum buyers plus a reserve percentage, between the min and max quantities, then in the next hour (cron job) release it for buying. In this way I can believe it would generate two waves of sharing the content, the first when the promotion is announced, the second when it is open for buying (and in this case, I'd let very clearly that marking the interest doesn't mean that it's reserved for that person, even if we could do the reserve with adding the product to Ubercart cart's user with a long expire).

dhallennem's picture
Juice: 8
Group Buying Using Ubercart

Hi !

I read this topic with a lot of interest.
I'm working on a group buying project using Ubercart. It's a little bit different of the Groupon project because I don't want to use just coupons but have sellers who offer products with a good price if a certain number of buyer subscribe to the deal.
Your comment about the tipping point let me just disappointed...
I start to use Ubercart marketplace to have sellers and buyers. I don't know if i'm right too...

If someone as a solution or ideas if it is possible, what module do you think I could use to do this ?
Thanks

Matthieu

garyamort's picture
Juice: 16
Prior art

Your looking at Groupon's function in an overly broad manner.

Back when I went to college[early 1990's] there were many "buying clubs" in the country. They worked on the premise that people got together and purchased as a group, and instead of purchasing one of something, you purchase in cases[so the group buys a "case" of peanut butter, for example]. These groups have had websites for over a decade, and you go and it gives you a list of items you can buy. You can also view a list of "open cases" so you can purchase and complete a case.

When the order is processed, anything that did not meet the minimum is not filled.

Groupon might be combining a few pre-existing ideas together, but without a reference to an actual patent number I wouldn't take a broad statement in an article as an indication of problems.

csdesignco's picture
Re: Prior art

The patent you're requesting: http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=w4EIAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,269,343
(it says "MobShop, Inc" which is now owned by Groupon incorporated)

My personal opinion is that patents shouldn't be able to privatize systems like this, where the real mechanics are generic and don't depend on any specific "invented" mechanism. However my opinion does not matter in the legal realm, and there are numerous lawsuits currently going on in both directions.

People are welcome to do what they want, but I'm not willing to take the risk of infringing on a business model where lawsuits are currently running rampant. HTC was sued by Apple for infringing on dozens of patent infringements as generic as "Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image", in other words sliding an "unlock" switch on a touch screen phone. I think it's fair to say "be careful".

ricesteam's picture
Juice: 3

I'm trying to create a similar site. I'm stuck on how to display the total buy in a view? Anyone figure that out?

akhan's picture
Juice: 4
Group buying with Drupal and Ubercat

I have read this thead with great interest. We are wokring towards developing a group buying solution based on drupal and ubercart.

I have learnt a lot from this thread, although some questions remain in my mind. Hope you don't mind answering them. Some might be directly related to durpual and some ubercart.

- Our group buying site will serve a few cities, so if you create cities by taxanomy terms then how do we generate/display the city page to the user if that city is selected

- How do we add that selected city in user's session and display them that city's content until a new city is selected by the user?

- Whilist I agree that a new product class should be created, so we could add deals specific fields, you call it 'deals', a new invoice (coupon) should be generated with a new number so that all invoice (coupons) have their individual reference number. I thought ubercat will do this by default?

- What's the best method to create and store merchnat's details i.e. name, address, locations, phone, fax, google map etc? At the time of creating a deal, a merchant could be selected.

- We would like merchants to have their own permanent page on our site. How do we create and display a merchants page on our site /city-name/kmart

- When creating a deal, we could like to attach that deal to a category and a sub-category. How do we create these? Should we use ubercart catalogue functionality or something else?

- How do we add QR codes to ubercart generated invoices. Here is a module for genrating QR codes: http://drupal.org/project/qr_codes

- Should we use ubercarts billing table to store customer's billing address? Or some method should be used?

- Could ubercart's billing function be customised in a manner that if it is already filled in by the user during the previous transaction it is shown in a collapsed manner but display in expanded manner if the user going throuh the check-out hasn't previously filled it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

moneeshkoundal's picture
Juice: 5
Group buying in ubercart.

Hi,

I also thinking is that possible to allow group to buy a product like OG groups will creating when people wants to buy a product in a group and the order will be created for the group and the share of amount of the product will be shared between the individuals like four people in the groups and product is 100 USD and each shares is 25 each.

Just need to know this is possible using custom module if not please any one can me know why.
Any heads how this can be done will be really valuable.

shadowxx's picture
Juice: 7

Hi, I'm making groupon like website. I decieded to use taxonomy to categorize cities (for example mysite.com/sydney). I have to show only latest node (offer powered by ubercart) per taxonomy. So I cloned default taxonomy view from views and limited showing nodes to only one.

My problem: I use CCK Blocks (CONDITIONS, PARTNER, HIGHLIGHTS etc.) and put them in regions defined in node-product.tpl. Problem is that I can't show CCK blocks related to last node in taxonomy view (even there is showing only one node). CCK blocks can be only shown on node page. Any solution?

Maybe there is even other way to make mysite.com/sydney page and show on it only latest node from taxonomy?

ayalsule's picture
Juice: 36

awesome , I was looking for that, sub

ranx2k's picture
Juice: 9
Open Deals Distribution

If someone is still interested in making a groupon clone with drupal they should check out this wonderful new distribution from Netstudio:

http://drupal.org/project/opendeals