17 replies [Last post]
BigMike's picture
Juice: 1116
Was this information Helpful?

UC

I have been complaining about this for a long time so I decided to just create a thread for it.

Can you PLEASE disable the word verification form for normal users? Certainly normal members who are active and contribute many posts ARE INDEED HUMANS and not bots trying to spam your website.

I realize this Drupal "forum" is NOT a forum, but there must be a membergroup module or something similar to a REAL forum that you could use to differentiate normal, full users from new users. Real forums base this on post counts, for instance, 0-15 posts for new members, 16-249 posts for young members, 250-999 posts for full members, 1000+ posts for very active members, et cetera

Then, if the member is not part of the new member's membergroup, then you could be pretty sure it is a real, genuine HUMAN member who genuinely wants to be here and will not be abusing or spamming the site.

Then just stop requiring these normal human users from having to use the stupid captcha almost every time they want to post.

I am sorry if I am the only one annoyed by this. I HATE IT. It is really kills my experience here. Often times I just choose to post at Drupal.org because they don't require me to verify that I am a human OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Thank you for your consideration,
BigMike

BigMike's picture
Re: Suggestion: Please disable the dang word verification for no

How about trying the hidden captcha module instead of annoying us HUMANS who actually use Ubercart.org.

See: http://drupal.org/project/hidden_captcha

Straight from the module page,

Quote:

This module allows you to add a Hidden CAPTCHA on forms where you don't absolutely need to have a human enter a text, number, etc. but that still needs a little anti-spam control.

Quote:

And the difference between having a reCAPTCHA (what I usually select,) or a Hidden CAPTCHA... you get a lot more posts from your users.

Don't take my word for it, there you go right there. Not having that damn word verification will encourage increased participation at Ubercart.org.

Regards,
A Human.

HHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOOK I HAVE TO ENTER THE WORD VERIFICATION RIGHT NOW JUST TO POST THIS!!!! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Quote:

To complete this form, please complete the word verification below.

Just to prove to you that I am a HUMAN, the word verification is 2HbVg. And FYI you CANNOT simply press enter after keying in the verification. You MUST click on the "Save" button in order to pass the word verification. Try if for yourself. It's extremely annoying.

Ok, I just edited this post to reword 1 sentence and I am being required AGAIN to verify that I am a Human. Is this really necessary?

Quote:

This time the word verification is AQmKj.

BigMike's picture

I'm really shocked that no one cares about this.

blowe's picture
Administrator
Juice: 82
Verification of Bipedalism

I care but I think you might be a computer just trying to trick us into turning it off. Could you please verify a word for me...

Let me see what we can do about it.

Brian

Cayenne's picture
Juice: 620
LOL @ Brian. But really, must

LOL @ Brian.

But really, must one be bipedal when sitting on the couch?

I confess to being surprised that Mollom is this strict here at UC.org. I run it elsewhere and it seems less intrusive, but maybe that's because I am usually the admin.

blowehls's picture
Juice: 5
Testing Mollum

I am posting as a new user to test Mollom.

Brian

blowehls's picture
Juice: 5
No Problem

Mike,

Is Mollom requiring you to complete a text every time you post? I signed up as a new user and did not have difficulty. I am trying to see if Mollom has just decided it doesn't like BigMike or if the problem is more prevalent.

Brian

end user's picture
Juice: 1738
Re: No Problem

Its random when it wants to ask a user to verify bit I get it 90% of the time and at odd times it goes into a small loop and I have to verfiry twice. Also posting link in posts seems to trigger another admin approval and the post doesn't get listed.

TR
TR's picture
Bug FinderFAQ ModeratorGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 3293
Re: Re: No Problem

AFAIK there is no one with admin permissions who actually goes through and approves those things. That's part of the problem. And to be clear, I don't have admin permissions for ubercart.org.

<tr>.
blowe's picture
Administrator
Content Moderator

I spent about an hour going through all of the moderated posts for the last year and there were only about 10 posts that weren't spam so I don't know that it is a good use of anyone's time. Most of those did have an external site link in them and most had been re-posted successfully without the link. Mollom is pretty darn good other than harassing BigMike every time he posts.

It is kind of like checking your Spam on gmail. Hours of junk for just a few real posts.

I added you into the content moderator role so you can see the posts blocked by Mollom. Double check that you can get to the moderation area since it appears you should have already had permission.

Brian

BigMike's picture

Thank you for all the feedback guys. I realize I was very aggravated when I created this topic, but it'd still be very nice to not have to prove I am a human on this site anymore.

Again, thank you for the consideration,
BigMike

OH DEAR LORD, NOT AGAIN. Verification is bPHEu

Quote:

BigMike's picture
Re: Re: Suggestion: Please disable the dang word verification fo

Took a screen shot for proof: http://www.marlincrawler.com/bbs/ubercart_human_test.pdf (137 KB)

blowe's picture
Administrator
Dear Computer...

Oh, I believe you. I am just working on automatically bypassing Mollom with enough juice. In the meantime, I manually added you to a new role, "Juiced" so you won't see the word verification in the future. (maybe)

If there are any other big posters like BigMike that are getting bothered by Mollom, just let me know.

Brian

BigMike's picture
Re: Dear Computer...

You. Are. AWESOME. Thank you very, very much blowe. I honestly appreciate your time in this regard!

BigMike

Alaska's picture
Juice: 1434
Re: Re: Dear Computer...

Just posted myself and the verification kicked in.

The privilege for NOT having to deal with verification could be tied to ones number of logins or juice. This would perhaps encourage more participation.

blowe's picture
Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Dear Computer...

Alaska, you are Juiced, never to see Mollom again.

Brian.

BigMike's picture
blowe, I just wanted to

blowe,

I just wanted to say.... T-h-a-n-k Y-o-u very very much for this good kind Sir.

あんしんをしています。

BigMike

rks_213's picture
Juice: 183
_

For future reference, how many posts or juice do I need before I can kickstart my bot to start spamming?