5 replies [Last post]
JonW's picture
Juice: 94
Was this information Helpful?

One of the top items from a small usability review I did of my new store was that shoppers were annoyed that they had to press a button when they updated the quantity of an item in the cart.

Some understood that recalculating the shipping price estimate might need a button press, but nearly all of them tried to edit a quantity item, then just go back to the product list without pressing the update cart button. When they went to check out, they wondered where the other items went.

I would love to see this as a new feature.

Most of the reviews were quite positive otherwise.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Re: Update price and shipping data on cart without requiring Upd

Glad we're getting some positive feedback for ya... don't know about the whole update at any time thing. I imagine this could be done w/ some AJAX, but there has to be a form submission somewhere. Right now clicking update or checkout will save the quantity, so I'll see if I'm using a form for the continue shopping button and save there, too. Out of luck if they click away on a link.

JonW's picture
thought it would be easier....

When a user edits the qty field, they are going to either tab or Enter out of the field, or click the Back to Product list or Checkout button.
Aren't those all events that can trigger the recalculation?

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Well, can and should be in

Well, can and should be in core are two different things. Honestly, this sounds like a nice idea for a contributed module, but it seems like a UI enhancement beyond the scope of core functionality. You can have an onchange event for any field resubmit the form, but then you have to recalculate the subtotal, figure out what to do with removals, make sure requests don't get processed out of order, etc.

JonW's picture
Understood...

I see there is more to it than meets the eye.

What about getting halfway there. Can the events that are triggered when the Update Cart is clicked also be automatically called when the Return to Product listing on the cart is clicked? Essentially making the return to product list button be like hitting two buttons at once, first the update, then the return to the product page?

If that is a more self contained and "do-able" piece of this problem, then I would consider kicking in to achieve that goal.

cYu
cYu's picture
Bug FinderGetting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 852
Re: Understood...

If I understand correctly, the problem you are describing is that a customer goes to their cart, updates a quantity, clicks continue shopping, and assumes their quantity update has saved?

Maybe it is because I'm a developer, but in the scenario you describe I would be confused if my quantity had saved.

One solution I've seen in similar situations is keeping track, via javascript, of when form values are updated and popping an alert if a user tries to leave the page without saving or updating asking them if they'd like to save first. One other solution would be renaming the link 'Update Cart and Continue Shopping' or something along those lines.

I know this isn't any help in actually implementing these things, I just thought I'd post because often times I use links such as 'Continue Shopping' or 'Back to Listing' almost as a 'Cancel' button knowing that it will not save any of the updates I've just made.