12 replies [Last post]
JeyP's picture
Juice: 7
Was this information Helpful?

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to decline an French Ubercart base website into English and German. But I didn't manage to set it up correctly. It seems like there is no real langage support for Ubercart. I was able to translate the categories with i18n but I don't know how to have acces to them correctly. For example, when I try to access the english catalog via yourwebsiteadress/en/catalog, the categories and the subcategories are not listed...
Have anyone find a way to handle a multiple language Ubercart base website?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Jey.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Re: Multiple language Ubercart website

Jey, I think the issues you'll run into will mostly be general Drupal issues. You might find more support through the i18n issue tracker or something, although a few folks here have done multi-lingual sites in the past. There are a few issues in Ubercart modules (related to field naming flexibility) that will make this a little difficult to accomplish.

Abilnet's picture
Uber DonorBug Finder
Juice: 718
Ryan wrote:...There are a
Ryan wrote:

...There are a few issues in Ubercart modules (related to field naming flexibility) that will make this a little difficult to accomplish.

Thanks Ryan for the insights. As a non coder, I don't have the understanding of these multilingual difficulties, but from business point of view, specially here in Europe, multilingual capabilities for commercial web sites are rapidly coming more than important. In many cases I know for sure, a web site without real multilingual capabilities does not even exist - from the business point of view.

Nowadays European Union (EU) as a free trade zone with common strong currency (Euro) is a huge potential for businesses. Some are calculating it's even bigger than US. But it's multilingual, and that's why having real multilingual features in their sites and chopping carts, is a must for many companies.

I understand porting Ubercart to Drupal 6.X does not happen any soon, but just curious, what kind of multilingual capabilities people can expect Ubercart will have that time?

Some road-map for multilingual stuff would be nice...

my 2cents from Sunny Spain Eye-wink

JeyP's picture
Juice: 7
Hey, Thanks Ryan for your

Hey,

Thanks Ryan for your answer. But I'm totally agree with you Abilnet. Multilingual features is nowadays a real necessary for many websites.
To make it possible with Ubercart, I think that the solution may be to change the way Ubercart handle the catalog vocabulary. But the problem is that we can select only one Catalog vocabulary in the store Administration...
I'm still working on it. But some feedbacks from people that had success (or not) on making multilingual Ubercart website would be nice =). I'll let you know if I find something.

my 2cents from Rainy France Sticking out tongue

jeyro's picture
Juice: 19
Re: Re: Multiple language Ubercart website

This is hoping that things have evolved in the meantime...

I've come pretty far on the UC multi language setup, but now I need help. I need to know if this can be done or not, I have spent quite some time on it now.

I am not able to assign a second or third language product to the UC Catalog. Other translated content and menus are doing fine, second and third language wise.

- I have set up the vocabulary terms in the UC catalog for English and items show up nicely in the catalog
- I do the same for other languages but they will not show under UC Catalog whatever I do
- Second language vocabulary terms can be added and connected through the translation interface with the english terms at the catalog level.
- At product level products pages can be assigned to those second language vocabularies. But the UC Catalog remains empty.
- If I remove translations and enter second language vocabulary terms in the english list of terms without the translation feature, the second language products can't be assigned to those terms.
- Using the multilanguage metablock feature I can connect the original UC Catalog with a new second language block that contains the correct terms. It will show the correct English terms and the correct second language terms - the menu system works. - But it doesn't show the configured UC catalog product views for the second language.

Given my latest result so far, how can I assign the UC Catalog setup to the second language?
Or, how can I assign a vocabulary term to show its assigned contents in UC Catalog views?
Or any other way to have the UC Catalog work in the second language?

Does the UC Catalog taxonomy (vocabulary terms) have a problem with languages?

I would very much appreciate some foolproof advice.

---
jeyro

gupa's picture
Juice: 42
jeyro wrote: Given my latest
jeyro wrote:

Given my latest result so far, how can I assign the UC Catalog setup to the second language?
Or, how can I assign a vocabulary term to show its assigned contents in UC Catalog views?
Or any other way to have the UC Catalog work in the second language?

Does the UC Catalog taxonomy (vocabulary terms) have a problem with languages?

same problems with i18n + ubercart - is there a workaround to get the catalog with translated terms?

gupa's picture
Juice: 42
Re: jeyro wrote: Given my latest

Don't use the translation table (Localizer) use the manual translation for the voc.
I mean, take this mode:
"Per language terms. Different terms will be allowed for each language and they can be translated."
set it Language-independet.
All terms must be there in every language, then translate it by:
www.yoursite.com/en/admin/content/taxonomy/1/translation

and don't synchonize the Taxonomy Terms - then it will work! (I've tried some hours to get that figured out)

I only don't get the Voc.Name translated this way.

I hope it helps

ferrangil's picture
Juice: 62
Re: Re: jeyro wrote: Given my latest

I'm facing the same issue...
I've set it to "Localize terms. Terms are common for all languages, but their name and description may be localized.", as my idea was just translate the term names. The same nodes should be related to the terms, and the same node is visible on every language (not translated nodes).
I tried the translation table, and it doesn't work as expected. Catalog disapears, but terms shown in the "in XX, XX" section are translated.

I'll give it a try, but what I needed was just that (exactly this "Terms are common for all languages, but their name and description may be localized").
I'll keep posting for future reference.

asak@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 67
Not there yet

But i'm assuming you will be soon:
http://www.ubercart.org/forum/internationalization/10878/i18n_issues_i_d...
(just for reference)

heyyo's picture
Juice: 36
I only don't get the

I only don't get the Voc.Name translated this way. I hope it helps

Did you find another way to do it ?

jeyro's picture
Juice: 19
Re: I only don't get the

There is still an i18n issue regarding translation of vocabulary names and the short user help texts. One of the threads about it on drupal.org is http://drupal.org/node/638556.

doomed@drupal.org's picture
Bug Finder
Juice: 334
JeyP wrote:... I was able to
JeyP wrote:

... I was able to translate the categories with i18n but I don't know how to have acces to them correctly. For example, when I try to access the english catalog via yourwebsiteadress/en/catalog, the categories and the subcategories are not listed...

How did you translate the category terms??

I'm also using i18n and i have tried everything but no matter what, i still cant get the results i want from "Localization / Search Strings" in order to translate what i want.

The Catalogue vocabulary terms never come up on the search results Sad

I'm using Drupal 5.7, Uber RC4 and i18n 5.x-2.3 .

When i tested this, i enabled "i18n Taxonomy module" and also went to "Site Configuration / Multilingual system / Translation" and enabled translation for the Catalogue vocabulary there.

Arakrys's picture
Juice: 11
Re: JeyP wrote:... I was able to

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know whether you managed to make your shop multi language and how!
Chris
c h a y e s at antenna.nl