16 replies [Last post]
j0rd's picture
Getting busy with the Ubercode.
Juice: 453
Was this information Helpful?

Anybody know anything about these dudes? http://deepthoughtsoftware.com/

They appear to be selling a pre-packaged Drupal + Ubercart + Quickbooks cart. Not sure if their Quickbooks integration is anything above what exists in the community, but I'd be currious to take a peek at the code.

They have a free trial which downloads as a .exe, which leads me to believe perhaps it's nothing and just malware.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cps/960265866.html

DeepThought's picture
Juice: 18
Courier Gold E-commerce Managment Software

Hey j0rd,

As the owners of Deep Thought Software. We have developed Courier to work with Drupal and QuickBooks. Which currently there is nothing like it in the drupal community. That can sync Inventory, Customers, and Invoices in a real time manner. We as a company stand first and fore most for customer support and functionality. We offer a free one on one demo to anyone who is interested. We also offer a hosted demo that is shown on our system. We assure you that our software is not malware it has been test by download.com.
http://www.download.com/Courier/3000-2649_4-10879287.html?tag=mncol

To sign up for a free demo go to:
http://deepthoughtsoftware.com/contact/Request_One_on_One_Demo

We look forward to helping anyone who would like to make e-commerce management easier.

Best Regards

Deep Thought Software

We shall stand boldly on the edge, and long live ubercart.

j0rd's picture
Thanks for the info. I'm

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to need to create a Drupal + Ubercart + Quickbooks Pro integration for a site I'm working on. Would your software help me out with this at all?

Could I purchase the module to get the integration working?

DeepThought's picture
Juice: 18
Hi j0rd, Yes we can

Hi j0rd,

Yes we can certainly help you out with this project. With Courier you can get all your item details from QuickBooks, to your client's ubercart setup very quickly. Usually it takes about 5 - 10 minutes! Courier will keep these items in sync with the items as they exist on web, with QuickBooks being the master end of the relationship. Meaning that changes made in QuickBooks will reflect to the web on the next sync. We have an item detail editor module in Courier for use in adding that extra data such as images, and full descriptions to the product data as we know QuickBooks can be limiting.

We have a system setup for automatically generating the item attribute data based on the data found in the quickbooks file. We utilize the QuickBooks subitem structure to dictate what the item's attributes are. This data is processed and sent to your ubercart with the item export.

Courier has a complete addon system that allows us to develop more functionality that can effect many different facets of the workflows, including this item export.
Such as we currently have an excel import addon for importing the the extra extended data(pictures, descriptions). These imported descriptions can trump the ones that exist in QuickBooks also allowing you to use different descriptions, names, etc in your Quickbooks file than you do on the web. The information set in the item detail editor function the same way also.

After your initial setup of the customer's site using Courier the items will be linked to the ones in QuickBooks. On a daily basis the customer's inventory levels for these products will be synchronized with the website's levels.
Purchases made at the store will be downloaded either on a scheduled basis. Or we have a module that can be installed and setup to allow instant downloads of the orders into QuickBooks as they occur in real time!
New customers will also be created in QuickBooks as the Invoices come in.

We understand a lot of customers may have some special needs in their workflows for invoice import or inventory sync or pretty much any setup of this process. Our addon system allows us to hook into various stages of the workflow and adjust the data as it progresses through the system. So we offer this custom addon creation service to our clients on a need basis. We try to be as flexible as possible to accommodate our clients needs.

I hope this helps shed some more light on our system. We would love to show it to you first hand. Please do contact us and we would be happy to help get your client setup.

Thanks so much

Deep Thought Software
www.deepthoughtsoftware.com

We shall stand boldly on the edge, and long live ubercart.

salt5's picture
Juice: 2
Re: Courier Gold E-commerce Managment Software

I requested a demo a few weeks ago, never heard back from these guys.

Yesterday i tried installing their "full version trial" and it returned the following error message: "null(0) is not a valid Win32 application". I should add that i tried it on two different machines and got the same error on both. The error is produced right after double clicking the courier icon.

I posted on their support forum yesterday, to try and get some help, but now i see my thread was removed (or magically disappeared).

Given the above mentioned experiences, I'm afraid to imagine what will happen when I need support after i pay the $500 they want.

Big thumbs down to Deep thought software. I really wish the independent ubercart-QB integration will be ready sooner rather than later.

digitalfrontiersmedia's picture
Juice: 283
Re: Re: Courier Gold E-commerce Managment Software

I know that they've been swamped lately. They should probably hire additional help to keep from falling behind like that, though. I'll forward your message to see if they can figure out what the problem might be.

As for the independent ubercart-QB integration, that would be great. But I've been holding my breath for 2 years now and it just wasn't feature rich enough to be of use in the particular applications I needed it for.

There are a few other full-feature commercial options available now, though. Just need to explore them.

Zalatar's picture
Juice: 86
Also looking at Courier

I am also looking into QB integration. Is this still a viable option or is there something else?
Thx,
Z

Re: Also looking at Courier

Courier is still available and has been improved. There is also another option that was recently pointed out in the forums elsewhere.

korda's picture
Juice: 21
Another option?

Can you point me in the direction of the other option you came across? Just want to know I have looked over all options before I make a decision.

Thanks

fandangle's picture
Juice: 7
Courier

Hey J0rd, did you ever get Courier up and running? If so, how was the experience?

j0rd's picture
Re: Courier

I never tried to get courier running, because this project never went through. I did do some reasearch on the topic though and decided that integrating Ubercart with T-Hub is probably the best solution for Ubercart / QuickBooks integration.

http://www.atandra.com/Prod_THub.htm

There's a 3-4 levels of integration one can do with the T-Hub suites APIs. They range from CSV imports, to full SOAP requests. APIs are available on their site, if you poke around a little. I figured integrating with this, would be the easiest option for my clients.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Re: Re: Courier

For what it's worth, I actually ran into these guys at Drupalcon DC and was impressed by their presentation and involvement. The price seems to have dropped significantly, and I actually ran into a guy from the forums using the software. Smiling

Worth a look when you're evaluating options, for sure, especially since they're operating through their own desktop application instead of an Intuit provided solution and do some sweet synchronization between the company file and the Ubercart database.

j0rd's picture
Re: Re: Courier

DeepThought sent me a PM and asked me to elaborate on my perspective as a developer. Here it goes.

As for the DeepThought software, Ryan seems to think it would be a good solution, but it's one I haven't explored in much depth. I think the lack of developer focused documentation on their website was the cause of this. I was worried I'd have to install some custom version of Ubercart and that scares me, as I have my own way of doing things. Not sure how it works, so I pretty much skipped it as an option. Also I don't run windows, so I wouldn't be able to easily test it. DeepThought has provided an overview of their software in this post. Perhaps, if they updated their website and explained how to install Courier with Ubercart on their website, things would be less scary for me.

As for T-Hub the integration seems reasonably easy. There's a 1 time fee to get a level 3-4 integration code certified with them. That code could be released into the community and then sub-sequent installs wouldn't have to pay that fee. The CSV integration is free and would be easy to create a menu_hook/function to export the data required to CSV. Soap wouldn't be hard either and would support more features. I like the idea that T-Hub supports many versions of QuickBooks and is a popular solution for other carts. This is important to me, as I don't know which version of quickbooks my future clients will be running.

Also I believe that the T-Hub Syncing Web Services could get re-written and released in open source and use the same API/Feature Set. T-Hub is just a layer of abstraction. This would negate the purchasing of any product to sync QuickBooks with Ubercart (and other carts which use the T-Hub API).

I believed that once I had created an integration which Sync'd with T-Hub..someone (or me) could go ahead and create a level of abstraction using the T-Hub API to replace T-Hub. It would give the Quickbooks integration team a feature set and API they needed to support, thus making the daunting task of integration less scary.

That's just my take on it, from doing a little research. Until someone steps up, the paid solutions are the only "easy" integration options. Courier or T-Hub.

If Deep Thought could elaborate on how one installs Courier into Ubercart, it would probably helps those who find this thread and need to make a decision.

Hi j0rd, I might be the

Hi j0rd,

I might be the developer Ryan was speaking of. I have used Courier and am really, REALLY (read excited, enthusiastic) pleased with how it works. You don't need a special fork of Ubercart or anything.

Installation
It essentially has 2 parts to install:

1. a PHP module that sits side-by-side with Ubercart,
  2. and the desktop application that sits side-by-side with QuickBooks.
  • Then you simply provide the desktop application with some config info about what you want to sync and when/how.
  • Point it to your Ubercart installation with site login credentials.
  • Point it to QuickBooks with company file login credentials.
  • And really that's about it.

It seems a cheaper solution than T-Hub, regardless of which avenue you take with them, requires no extra coding on the developers part, and probably the biggest advantage is that its built to be extensible and the folks at Deep Thought Software will work with you to provide relatively inexpensive customizations if needed.

We use it over on idstronghold.com pretty extensively and are using some customizations that allow Courier to actually change the order statuses automatically upon sync to allow their fulfillment center to know when orders have been processed by the office and are ready for shipment. Pretty shnazzy.

If you have any specific questions about implementation feel free to contact me. So far I've been really impressed with it and love working with the Deep Thought Software team on various solutions.

Oh, and since Courier uses the QuickBooks API, it works with just about all versions of QuickBooks published after 2005. A CPA friend whom I've shown Courier to said that she thought Courier to be superior to T-Hub and less likely to run into failures and problems associated with the WebConnect method.

Cheers,
Stephen

le
le's picture
Juice: 11
T-Hub and Ubercart?

Hi - I realize this thread is really old, but I have a client who would love to use her existing T-HUB with the new Ubercart shop I am building for her. Did you make any progress on T-Hub/Quickbooks/Ubercart integration? I am a developer so this is something I could feasibly work on, but it's not clear yet whether there is something out there. Thanks for any info.

SandyMc's picture
Juice: 3
Courier Lite

I would love to see if I can get Courier Lite to work with my Ubercart and Quickbooks POS. I am having a hard time installing Courier Lite into Drupal 7 and would like to ask for help from anyone who has done this. Every time I try to install the Courier module, I get the error message "courier_uc.zip does not contain any .info files." Can anyone help me out with this? I have been working on this for several days and I am getting pretty discouraged. I have emailed Deep Thought Software now twice and have not received a reply. I use Hostgator for my website. I would very much appreciate any help I can get. Point me in the direction of a tutorial or something? I usually figure things out on my own or with the help of searching on Google, but I have had no luck in this case.

ryanzook's picture
Juice: 9
Installing Courier Lite module and compatibility issues

@SandyMC: Did you get any success here? Are you uploading the courier_uc.zip to your modules folder or are you extracting it first? The zip contains an includes folder, the courier_ubercart.info file and the courier_ubercart.module file, but it must be extracted before uploading to the modules folder.

I'm also interested in Ubercart or Drupal Commerce + Courier + QB POS. I'm running into compatibility issues.

1. Courier Lite for Ubercart is only compatible with Drupal 6, Drupal reports. Courier Lite for Drupal Commerce is compatible with Drupal 7. Is Courier (full version) compatible with both Ubercart and Drupal Commerce in Drupal 7?
  2. Deep Thought says Courier and Courier Lite are compatible with all QB POS versions since 2005, but there is no option to choose QB POS v9 or above in the Courier Lite interface. Only options are Version 4, Version 5, Version 6, Vesrion 7 [sic], and Vesrion 8 [sic]. The typos do not build confidence.

I emailed the Deep Thought sales and support addresses, with no response for several days. Hanging and hoping...