I can't believe this has become so difficult. This should be dead simple. I get the feeling that some major step was missed somewhere, or else this would "just work". I've Googled to the end of the Internet and back again and can't find any useful tutorial, book, or clue on how to simply get a State tax rule set up properly using Ubercart 7.x-3.0-rc2, Rules 7.x-2.0, and Drupal 7.7. Here's as far as I can get:
1) I've added a CA state tax rate of 9.25%. See "TaxCap1.png"
2) When I hit Edit, I can hit +Add Condition. See "TaxCap2a.png"
3) Under "Select the condition to add", I select "Order/Check an order's state".
4) On the next screen, I have "Data selector" filled out as "order", under "Order state", there's "Value" and a pull-down. For me, the pull-down only contains "- Select -" (i.e., no values). See "TaxCap3a.png"
5) It obviously won't let me go any further, displaying an error "Value field is required. Missing configuration for parameter order_state". See "TaxCap3b.png".
Now what? Hopefully this is some easy fix. This is driving me crazy.
Thanks in advance for any help!