3 replies [Last post]
sddrupal's picture
Juice: 15
Was this information Helpful?

I am running Drupal 6 and Ubercart 2. I run a development server locally on my computer which I use to make changes to the site, which is hosted with traditional web hosting.

In the past I have made my changes locally and then just re-uploaded all the files and the database when I wanted to push a newer version of my site.

The "problem" is that I have now received some orders on the hosted website, so I have user accounts and order history that I cannot just overwrite.

How do I move everything from my local development server to the hosted website without overwriting and deleting the user accounts and order history. Alternatively, how can I move all the user account and order history data over to my local development server before I move/overwrite?

I could go into phpmyadmin and move over the tables for the users/orders, but I do not know if this will have ramifications elsewhere.

sddrupal's picture
Still struggling

I am still struggling with the same problems, and have not found any optimal ways to fix this. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me any good ideas?

sddrupal's picture
Idea

Well, I am still struggling with this and really need it fixed; it has become quite a roadblock. What is the best way to find someone to pay to help me fix this? How do I find a Drupal/Ubercart consultant? I have heard mixed things about eLance and oDesk. I could really use someone to bounce questions off of periodically when I get stuck with Drupal and Ubercart issues and would be willing to pay.

Thanks!

Frazzled Penguin's picture
Juice: 3
Re: Idea

This may be a little late, but here's a suggestion...

I would do is to do as much of the upgrades/changes on the staging server as you can without making changes to the database (if possible) then to setup a maintenance window on the live site. When the site is put into maintenance mode you can take a snapshot of the live database and install it on your staging server. Make your remaining changes. Test. Then upload your changes to the live server and disable the maintenance mode.

Basically, the maintenance window will prevent any new transactions while you are in the process of making your changes. I normally schedule these changes when traffic is very low. Unfortunately for me, this is often in the late hours of the night.

Another option would be to write an export/import script. But that's a heck of alot more work (unless someone has already done that)..

Hope that helps,
Frazz.