4 replies [Last post]
mja388's picture
Juice: 14
Was this information Helpful?

Hi. I’m having a difficulty understanding ubercart with taxonomy menu and superfish. I am trying to create a product menu system similar to the one found at http://www.euromex.com . I have created a vocabulary of product categories and each of these has one or more sub-categories. For example:

Cameras & Software
- CMOS Cameras
- CCD Cameras

The problem is that when I click in the menu on a parent category (Cameras & Software) the result comes back as empty rather than displaying the list of sub-categories (CMOS Cameras, CCD Cameras).
I’m not sure if taxonomy menu is right for the job so if anyone can offer some advice on how to achieve this I would be very grateful.
Many thanks.

mja388's picture
Re: Product menu with sub categories

I'm still stuck on the above so would be very grateful for any advice.
Many thanks.

SimbaClaws's picture
Juice: 10
Hi mja388,Taxonomy terms is

Hi mja388,

Taxonomy terms is indeed what you need to use to accomplish this.

I did the following to achieve it:
Create a taxonomy term called webshop if it isn't already automatically there when you installed the module (not sure).
Then create terms for each category of products in an underlying structure. Same as your example shows.

Then create a view called uc_catalog_terms (if it isn't already there when you installed the module, I think it is).

I've set mine up as followed:

Inisde the fields add:
Taxonomy: Term-ID
Taxonomy: Image
Taxonomy: Name
Global: Custom Text

Inside the settings of the taxonomy fields, disable them from being displayed so you can use them inside Global: Custom Text by using tokens.
Remember that for the tokens to work you have to put the order of the fields above Global: Custom Text.
This way you can style the displayment of your view the way you want using HTML and CSS.
In this example I didn't include the Taxonomy: Term-ID inside the view by not using it as token but adding it there just in case I need it for something else. It's a ID of the term.

My filter criteria are as followed:
Taxonomy term: Vocabulary (= Webshop)
Taxonomy term: Language (= Current user's language)

The current language filter is there in case you want to create your webshop in different languages. This can be done by using translated versions for the terms. There should be an option for that if you have i18n installed as module. Same thing can be done for products to localize your website in different languages.

My sort criteria are as followed:
Taxonomy term: Weight (asc)
Taxonomy term: Name (asc)

Expand advanced and make sure you have a Contextual Filter:
Taxonomy term: Parent term

I hope this helps.

mja388's picture
Hi Simbaclaws, Many thanks

Hi Simbaclaws,
Many thanks for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate your help and advice. I'll go through it today and see if I get it working.
Kind regards.

SimbaClaws's picture
Juice: 10
Re: Hi Simbaclaws, Many thanks

If you need any help setting it up feel free to PM me.