15 replies [Last post]
frankstallone's picture
Uber DonorEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Not Kulvik
Juice: 211
Was this information Helpful?

My client has a web page where certain parts can pertain to more than one Catagory, is there a way to do one add product and have it go into multiple directories.

I tried this once before by holding Control and highlighting multiple Input format > Catalog entries however that made a breadcrumb that included every Catagory instead of the one for that particular setting. Is there a way of making a product multiple catagories without getting a huge breadcrumb like that?

Example:

Part A would fit under the catagories:

MK1
MK2
MK3

in the product catagories.

- Franksta

qrios's picture
Cool profile pic award.Getting busy with the Ubercode.Internationalizationizer
Juice: 554
Re: One product for multiple Catagories?

Hope I understand you right:

Easy, just hold your [CTRL] button while selecting multiple categories.

frankstallone's picture
Yeah...

Yeah it would be that simple however last time I did that when you went to one product the breadcrumb came up with all the categories instead of just the one someone was looking in. This is why I am asking if there is another way so I don't have a huge breadcrumb with all the categories in it.

qrios's picture
Re: Yeah...

Can't help you, didn't use breadcrumbs yet with ubercart. There is a setting something like "Use catalog breadcrumb" somewhere...

zmove's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.Internationalizationizer
Juice: 1195
Re: Re: Yeah...

I up this post because I just found this bug too...

I explain with example :

I have a product named : "Milk"

It have multiple taxonomy : "category 1, category 2, category 3"

If I go to my product, the breadcrumb is like that :

Catalog > category 1 > category 2 > category 3

Imagine with multiple taxonomy of 15 or 20 terms, it become not understandable... In addition, it can confuse the visitor because it can think that category 3 is in category 2, and category 2 is in category 1 whereas they all have the same level.

I don't know what is the best choice, (randomly show one of the 3 taxonomy, or registed where visitor come from and show the good term) but I know that show all terms is not the good choice.

Andy's picture
Administrator
Juice: 1143
Showing Breadcrumbs for Multiple Categories

I believe the multiple breadcrumbs is intentional. Our thoughts were that most products will be in a few (three or less) categories at most. Given this assumption, there are two benefits to showing all the breadcrumbs. One: the breadcrumbs show the customer other categories with similar products which the customer may be interested in. Second: the additional breadcrumbs provide additional keywords which search engines can use to better rank the product page for relevant searches. (I never support keyword stuffing, or designing a site / page for search engines at the expense of human readability, but good design often benefits both humans and search engines as described above.)

That being said, I see how this design may not be the preferred method for some sites. Perhaps the solution is to give the site administrator a site wide configuration option of multiple breadcrumbs or only showing the breadcrumb that the user followed to get to the product. But then there is still the undefined case of a customer browsing directly to the product page. In that case you could "just pick one" or you could have the site administrator set one as default when the product is created. I vote for "just pick one." It seems to me that the coding effort to enable a primary trail and the administrative effort to set a primary trail for each product is not worth the benefit for this trivial case.

If this is agreeable to everyone, we can make a feature request for it and put it in core. What do you think?

Andy

frankstallone's picture
ahh

Andy I see where your logic is behind the whole way Breadcrumbs are setup right now; my solution was to just make seperate products for each individual catagory considering some things like Volkswagen Antennas are the same for nearly all models, and having a breadcrumb like this:

Rabbit and Jetta 1 > Golf and Jetta II > Scirocco > Corrado > Golf and Jetta III > B4 and B5 Passat > Golf and Jetta IV

... is a little much, so for my application I do not mind making seperate product pages even though it takes a bit more time.

qrios's picture
Re: ahh

The multiple-term breadcrumb does not make (much) sense to me. It is intended to be a usefull help in navigation, display were you are in that navigation. Not for SEO, not for linking to related terms. Related terms are already displayed with every node (product) a term is related to.

To me the best way is to display the lightest term, this is also common in other modules.

just my 2..

zmove's picture
Bug FinderEarly adopter... addicted to alphas.Getting busy with the Ubercode.Internationalizationizer
Juice: 1195
Re: Re: ahh

I totally agree with keesje76. Related terms are already displayed in node and, after all, it's not the work of the breadcrumb.

The breadcrumb would gain in sense by showing only one terms of the product.

In fact, I think about an ubber way to show the breadcrumb (maybe a little difficult to implement, especially for a javascript noob like me)... is to show only one term on the breadcrumb, and, when you rollover it, show all other terms of the same level of the product in a javascript tooltip popup.

It could be the ubberway that make all people happy, but it's the most difficult to implement...

druru's picture
Brain Stormer
Juice: 228
Re: Re: Re: ahh

I could go either way on this one..

If you keep the multiple cats in the breadcrumb however, i would change the syntax to | instead >.

Using greater than symbol just looks plain confusing!

The pipe symbol implies OR and helps a user understand what they're looking at and that all the cats are at the "same level" and NOT nested: eg:

Home > Catalog > Vegetables | Fruits | Grains

Lyle's picture
AdministratoreLiTe!
Juice: 6855
Re: Re: Re: Re: ahh

Breadcrumbs are themed, so there might be one out there that uses the pipe to separate the links. But putting a different symbol between the links is probably easier for me than trying to keep track of where the user has been.

wbclassics's picture
Juice: 55
kaizen wrote: Andy I see
kaizen wrote:

Andy I see where your logic is behind the whole way Breadcrumbs are setup right now; my solution was to just make seperate products for each individual catagory considering some things like Volkswagen Antennas are the same for nearly all models, and having a breadcrumb like this:

Rabbit and Jetta 1 > Golf and Jetta II > Scirocco > Corrado > Golf and Jetta III > B4 and B5 Passat > Golf and Jetta IV

... is a little much, so for my application I do not mind making seperate product pages even though it takes a bit more time.

We have this EXACT same issue with the way Ubercart does breadcrumb trails. Auto parts are the perfect example, since that is what we sell.

The examples of why the breadcrumb shouldn't be constructed this way get worse when you consider things like a specific size nut or bolt, it may be used on every year and model of car, so the displayed breadcrumb becomes useless to the customer depending on your category structure. The point of a breadcrumb is to display to the user the path they took to get to that point... nothing else, it is a trail of a path already taken NOT a map of possibile alternate routes (that should be left to the catalog menu structure).

This is definitely something I feel should be changed in Ubercart.

Kai

BayerMeister's picture
Juice: 197
Re: kaizen wrote: Andy I see

I see this thread has been quiet for some time now.
I wanted to ask the same question in the forum, but found this thread. I add my vote here to solve the thing.

Reading through what was said I like (I see most valuable) the option:
- only one path
- the one we came to the product
- if no such path exist (directly came to product) pick one

The possibility to mark one path as default which would then be picked seems overcomplicated as you would have to modify existing data (taxonomy or products).

Thanks!

live4speed's picture
Juice: 9
Re: Re: kaizen wrote: Andy I see

so we're still without a fix for this?

Raise's picture
Juice: 2

I did that when you went to one product the breadcrumb came up with all the categories instead of just the one someone was looking in.

DanZ's picture
Juice: 1738

It's 2012 and it's still doing this weird stuff.

If you got to a product page via a catalog, it should show the breadcrumbs for the catalog used to get there.

Having a list of catalogs (taxonomies) that the product is in is fine, but that's a separate list, not a breadcrumb.