14 replies [Last post]
acb
acb's picture
Juice: 161
Was this information Helpful?

Dear collected geniuses:

I am wondering what the cheapest and best payment gateway is that is TRANSPARENT (i.e. where one doesn't leave the ubercart site). Paypal Standard and GoogleCheckout all require one to leave the site to check out. The PayPal upgrade to have it all within the site is $30/month which is a lot of money. 2Checkout, also, makes one leave the site. (Also, even if one customizes a paypal page, they infuriatingly make the "pay without PayPal account" link excruciatingly hard to find on the page).

Is one left with only authorize.net or is there a better gateway that I should look to? Basically it is a startup store, but one that wants to keep the checking-out part of it as cheap and clean as possible--and branded to the site.

Any time anyone jumps off a site to another site (e.g. paypal) it feels a little like the site is a "loving-hands-at-home-do-it-yourselfer" to quote a friend.... So we are looking for a cheap and easy alternative.

Ideas?

ACB

acb
acb's picture
....crickets? No ideas from

....crickets?

No ideas from anyone? Surely people have faced this problem before, no?

did I post this in the wrong section of the site?

Cayenne's picture
Juice: 618
Re: ....crickets? No ideas from

I'd like to know too. I am using google/paypal. Our yacht club is using Authorize.net, which seems to be a good setup.

I rather suspect that the answer depends heavily on what volume of commerce you anticipate...

acb
acb's picture
Re: Re: ....crickets? No ideas from

Low at first.... but the aesthetics and flow of things are important: running off the site to google or paypal breaks the flow and makes the site look a little more cobbled-together. Do you know if Authorize.net have a monthly fee or just per trans charges? I didn't see any with my cursory look, but they had a steep setup fee, if memory serves...

thanks!

Cayenne's picture
Re: Re: Re: ....crickets? No ideas from

I believe Authorize has a fee in the range of $50/month

Paypal websites payment pro, on the other hand, is about $30 and gives you the same result, at a slightly higher per-transaction fee.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Cayenne wrote:I believe
Cayenne wrote:

I believe Authorize has a fee in the range of $50/month

Paypal websites payment pro, on the other hand, is about $30 and gives you the same result, at a slightly higher per-transaction fee.

Auth.Net if you just need them for a gateway are only $17.95 / mo. + $.10 per transaction. There is a setup fee of $99, but if you get a merchant account at the same time from an Auth.Net reseller, you can usually find someone that waives the setup fee.

acb
acb's picture
More questions than answers..... (sorry!)

Ryan, what do you mean "if you just need them for a gateway?" What else would you use them for? Isn't that what they are?

Are there any that have no monthly fees, but have a higher transaction percentage? For a startup store that monthly fee could be a killer.

And as for resellers.... (who are they? any example links?) does the reseller get in the way of the ubercart payment modules?

Also: Doesn't CitiBank have a fairly cheap credit-card gateway?

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15453
Re: More questions than answers..... (sorry!)

Auth.Net also offers merchant accounts, so "just need them for a gateway" meant you already had a merchant account.

Also, if a start-up can't afford a $20 monthly fee for a service, I seriously question their long term viability as a company. Sticking out tongue

Cayenne's picture
Re: Re: More questions than answers..... (sorry!)

I didn't realize Authorize.net was so reasonable in price. I had only seen one or two merchant account suppliers' terms and figured ourselves to better off with paypal. Will check that out, thanks!

vitis's picture
Juice: 42
Authorize.net vs. 2CO

Trying to choose between Authorize.net and 2CO for processing role subscriptions with uc_recurring.

Looks like the big plus for Authorize.net is that users don't leave your site.
2CO has a monetary advantage for me because I process lots of small fees; having no per transaction flat fee is good.

Cayenne - What did you go with and how do you like it?

lsburton's picture
Juice: 2
me too!

I am also interested in other people's experiences and ideas. I am currently setting up a site for our HOA and I'd like to find a reasonably priced online credit payment (with automatic recurrent payments also).

abalch's picture
Juice: 4
I can help you with this

let me know if you want a quote on cheap online cc processing with re-occuring payments still. abalch@powerpay.biz

frankiecheung's picture
Juice: 2
Re: Best and Cheapest Payment Gateway

Hi guys I am from Asia so I have to use the local payment gateway here. From my experience all the Asia based payment service provider have some charges on the setup and annual fee. I have used paymentasia.com (from China) and ccavenue (from India) before which both request for some initial fees… its worth if there are existing business going with your web site…

The only international player that can serve in Asia region is paypal and 2Co but i had some not very good experience with them so I give up on it.

All I need now is someone that can help me to do the integration for my payment gateway account and ubercart, can anyone refer me some good freelance developer to get this complete?

Thanks!
Frankie

akt
akt's picture
Juice: 3
hi frankiecheung

Hi frankiecheung:

let me know if you are still looking for developer to integrate.

Thanks,
AT

ddease2's picture
Juice: 10
Sterling Payment Technologies

Guys,

I'm finding this thread way after the fact, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I'm a long-time Drupal hobbyist who works for a Florida-based payment processor called Sterling Payment Technologies. While my company is a direct processor and specializes in restaurant and retail POS integration and card terminal transactions, we also have an online terminal we call SPOT. It is comparable to Authorize.net and other virtual terminals, but the API is open and I've been working on connecting it to Ubercart. Sterling charges $79 to set it up, $12.50 per month, and .05 per transaction. I am the Central Florida Account Exec for the company, based out of Tampa.

SPOT offers multiple solutions for taking credit cards:

Virtual Terminal Transactions
With this feature, any web-enabled pc or mac can process credit card transactions. Qualified swiped transactions are also possible with a USB Magtek card reader.

Email Invoicing
Customers can be emailed invoices for payment. Upon clicking the link provided within the invoice, they are then directed to a secure payment page to complete their transaction.

Recurring Billing of Credit Cards (ACH added for additional charge)
Customers can be setup for recurring payments at any interval of time: weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. Recurring accounts can be created from existing transactions and can be activated and deactivated at any time.

Secure Payment Pages (similar to Paypal, linked from coded buttons)
With this feature, a simple yet secure web page is created for the customer. Simply create a hyperlink from their website to a payment icon and they are redirected to Sterling's secure page for payment.

API integration into shopping carts
Should a customer want a completely branded e-commerce solution, SPOT's API is open to over 30 commercial and open source shopping carts.

Now for the good Drupal stuff....

Currently, I'm working with the Central Florida Drupal group to finish the Ubercart API to the SPOT gateway. It was started last month and should be completed soon. I'm currently trying to get my company to sponsor Drupal Camp 2011 here in Orlando, where I'm slated to talk about payment gateways and connecting merchant processing to Web-developers. My goal, both personally and professionally, is to create a payment gateway solution that is Drupal friendly through Ubercart and provide that service to the Drupal and Ubercart community.

If you are interested in learning more, please contact me at dan.dease@sterlingpayment.com or visit my personal Sterling (Drupal) site at sterling.dandease.com.

Thanks,

Dan Dease
321-303-7303