My client didn’t like the whole concept of a flat rate shipping quote per order; they have many products of various weights and sizes and wanted to be able to put individual USPS shipping rates on each product (over 1,000 of them), and also to be able to put discounted shipping rates on each product to be applied when two or more products are in the shopping cart. It took a lot of digging to find the answers I needed, so I hope this helps someone else. Maybe I just wasn’t getting it, but it turned out to be pretty simple to do.
1. Set up two flat rates by going to Administer-Store administration – Configuration - Shipping quote settings – Quote methods tab – Flat rate tab. Title them something like USPS1 and USPS2, both with Base price of 0.00000 and Default product shipping rate of 0.00000.
USPS1: for when only 1 product is in the cart, so set the conditions and arguments to “Check an order’s number of products”, All products, “Total is equal to specified value” of 1.
USPS2: for when there are 2 or more products in the cart, so set the conditions and actions to “Check an order’s number of products”, All products, “Total is greater than specified value” of 1.
2. Test it out by creating a product. On the Create Product form, you should now see your two new Flat shipping rates for USPS1 and USPS2. You’ll need to enter the appropriate amounts in each of the fields, otherwise no shipping rate will be applied.
3. To get the two rates displayed on the product listing, go to Administer-Content management – Content types - List tab – Product – manage fields. Scroll to the bottom to add a new field, the “Label” will be the name of the field that appears on the Content Product form and on the product listing, so name them something like Shipping and Discounted Shipping. While you’re here, you’ll probably want to drag the two new fields up to appear just before the Shipping settings form. Also, go to the Display fields tab and set the fields to display to your preference.
4. To give everyone permission to view the fields you created in the previous step, go to Administer – User management - Permissions – content_permissions_module.
5. Test it out again by creating a product. On the Create Product form, above your two new Flat shipping rates for USPS1 and USPS2, you should now see the two new fields labeled Shipping and Discounted Shipping. The amount entered in Shipping needs to match the amount in USPS1, the amount in Discounted Shipping needs to match the amount in USPS2. If you do not want a discount applied to a product, enter the same amount in USPS1 and USPS2, then enter that same amount in Shipping and Discounted Shipping. You’ll probably want to add help text to the new fields for your client to ensure they get matched up with the correct flat rate.
That should do it. I realize this isn’t for everyone, but it’s exactly what my client was after.