4 replies [Last post]
outsider17@drupal.org's picture
Juice: 3
Was this information Helpful?

I've been floating around the world of web development since 2000 or so, and have been focusing on Drupal the last couple of years or so. I'm really excited about Ubercart, though I'm not really a developer. My fulltime job is a Business Analyst, and I'll be applying my analytical mind to Usability of Ubercart. Hopefully I can provide usability feedback to developers so we can create an open source cart solution that truely most people can set up, not just those used to CMS.

Something I'm particularly interested in is how workflows fit within Ubercart and CMS in general. Essentially all our modules are very function specific. These functions we link together to create a process. How about instead of us just remembering this process in our head, create a software based workflow that would allow people to step-by-step walk through the process of adding a product, from the addtion of a manufacturer through to adding a product, through to adding attributes, and all the required steps in between. People are good at following step by step processes, and once they have they hang of these easy to use (but inflexible) workflows, then they can go onto adding just a manufacturer or just a project.

BTW - I saw no posts in this forum so I had to manually create an add post link to submit this, but now that I've done that the add post link seems to work for all, so hopefully we'll see more usability posts now:)

Regards,
Waylon Kenning | Managing Director | http://www.kenningcorp.com

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15459
Re: My focus on Usability - Workflows

Hey Waylon, sorry about the trouble getting the post in, but a hearty welcome aboard. Smiling I'd be happy to work with you on any usability issue... a step-by-step product creation could be accomplished w/ a contributed module to break the node entry form up, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be to hammer out. I know some folks have been looking into this for Drupal in general in the Usability group, but I'm not sure if they ever got anywhere. Shocked Doing this on a store-wide scale would prove even trickier.

freak's picture
Juice: 5
Buy it now buttons

I'm setting up ubercart to support a chunk of software I wrote that i want to put up for sale. I have one product - a cart seems silly. What I want are 'Buy it now' buttons that simply take you to checkout. That would be an awesome usability improvement.

Ryan's picture
Juice: 15459
Re: Buy it now buttons

@freak, I believe you can handle this using a cart link that adds the product to the cart and redirects straight to the checkout page. The Cart Links module is a built-in component of Ubercart.

There was also a recently contributed module to handle buy it now buttons for PayPal.

matteoraggi's picture
Juice: 273
Re: Buy it now buttons

Nice idea, did you foudned solutions abou it?