Why use PayPal with Ubercart?
PayPal is an easy, cheap way for you to deliver secure checkout to your customers. You can accept credit card payments, eChecks, and PayPal transfers from the millions of people already signed up to use PayPal. There is even a service that lets your customers who do not have PayPal accounts pay by credit card through the PayPal server. PayPal is a great payment solution for small businesses and is a good option for larger ones, too. It's fast, easy, and secure.
What services are integrated?
Instant Payment Notifications
- PayPal Payments Standard - customers are redirected to PayPal after reviewing their order to complete payment; they return to your Ubercart site once payment is completed
- PayPal Payments Pro - customers checkout through Ubercart and PayPal is used as a payment gateway for you to process credit cards from within your site; customers never leave your site
- PayPal Express Checkout - customers are redirected to PayPal where they login to their PayPal accounts; they are then sent back to your Ubercart site to finish checkout, choosing a shipping method and providing a company name/phone number if needed before approving the total payment
The Ubercart PayPal module is setup to accept Instant Payment Notifications (IPN) from PayPal. This means that any time someone completes an order using PayPal, your site will receive a confirmation message from PayPal that Ubercart uses to verify completed payments. When an IPN is received, its data is verified and the payment is then logged to the appropriate order. The Transaction ID is logged to the order and displayed for your customers to review any time they log into their accounts and check their order histories.
What does it take to get started?
In order to use PayPal as your payment solution, you must have a PayPal account. Signing up is really simple, and you can support the Ubercart project by using our referral link below. Once you have signed up, you need to verify your account and upgrade to a Premier or Business Account depending on the service you wish to use. Consult the appropriate documentation and customer service on their website. Business Accounts are charged a monthly fee but give you access to the Website Payments Pro option.
Scroll down for more detailed instructions.
By becoming PayPal certified, Ubercart is now listed in the PayPal Solutions Directory. This gives us great exposure and the chance to display links that let people sign up as referred by Ubercart. If you don't have any other way to support the Ubercart project, simply using our referral link to sign up for your PayPal account and using PayPal as your payment solution will help support continued development.
Referral link: https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=6NXAPNGSS6DFJ
Detailed Account Setup Instructions:
Step 1: Set Up a Verified PayPal Business Account
Customers who don't have an existing PayPal account:
- Go to PayPal.
- Click Sign Up Today.
- Set up an account for Business Owners.
- Follow the instructions on the PayPal site.
Customers who already have a Personal or Premier account:
Step 2: Apply for Website Payments Pro
- Go to PayPal.
- Click the Upgrade your Account link.
- Click the Upgrade Now button.
- Choose to upgrade to a Business account and follow instructions to complete the upgrade.
- If you haven't already, add a bank account to become a Verified member. Follow the instructions on the PayPal site. This process may take 2-3 business days.
This step is only required for Website Payments Pro.
Step 3: Setup API Access
- Go to PayPal.
- Click the Merchant Services tab.
- Click Website Payments Pro (U.S. Only).
- Click Sign Up Now.
- Fill in your information, and submit your application. Approval takes between 24 and 48 hours.
- Once approved, accept the Pro billing agreement. Check the Getting Started section on the upper left of your account overview page.
First-party authentication: Register API signature
- Log in to your PayPal account and click the Profile subtab.
- Click the API Access link under the Account Information column.
- Click the Request API Credential link.
- Select the API Signature credential.
- Browse to the Payment gateways tab in your Ubercart Payment settings menu and fill in the API credentials information in the PayPal Website Payments Pro settings section of the page.